Ulez questions east Dulwich charges ?

Tibbytubs

Hi I have family coming up from Sussex , they need to pay ulez . My question is the £12.50 they pay is it one off payment? If they stay for 2 nights then travel back . Do they pay another 12.50 leaving east Dulwich?. They want to avoid paying the £10 auto admin fee.

Cheers

It's a charge for entering London with an older polluting car. The concept was brought in by a Tory mayor. I expect most of us either agree with it or have got used to it. 10000s die each year from pollution derived from road traffic. By all means ask questions but don't see why you need to give such views. Piston heads is a better place.

Some free advice, don't register but just simply pay and save your friends a tenner

Check with them if they have a 'polluting car' as if they do not they will not have to pay. My daughter comes up from Sussex for a couple of days and does not have to pay the charge. You can check on the website whether your car will be charged - all you need to do is put in registration number. My car is 16 years old and I do not have to pay the charge.

My car is 16 years old and I do not have to pay the charge.

The chances are that if you have a diesel car of that age you will have to pay, however. Petrol cars which are quite elderly were designed to emission standards which are acceptable, but this not true of diesel cars. My car (petrol) is 18 years old and exempt.

The original emission standards were set for vehicles travelling into the central (congestion charge) zone, where the impact of polluting vehicles, and particularly HGVs is most noted (because of traffic congestion and the impact of high rise infrastructure in retaining pollutants in the atmosphere). The extension out to the north and South Circulars (and possibly to the M25) is about revenue raising far more than air quality/ air pollution.

So those between the North and South Circs and the M25 don't desere cleaner air?? Whilst some of the most polluted roads are in central London such as Marylebone/Euston Road, and slightly further out Brixton Road, pollution doesn't magically stop as soon as you hit Streatham. We've had a low emission zone for trucks and buses for many years now and that covers the whole of London within the M25.

Older, more polluting petrol cars are allowed in the ULEZ as a compromise - you can't drive your 8 year old diesel but a 20 year old petrol that has gone twice round the clock is fine irrespective of the knackered engine. This was TfLs answer to complaints that those less well off would not be able to drive without a charge. The "money making scam" those of you in the tax payers alliance keep going on about will of course reduce as the car fleet turns over. For some it makes less and less sense to own a car and they will switch to public transport, activce travel or car clubs. Some may even decide to share journeys, this should be a public duty!

Happy to answer further questions on pollution, ULEZ, car technology.