Cheap night stop places on long drive through France

Hi

Driving through France with two small kids and need to nightstop as journey 10hours. It's been years since I did this and I was young free and single so didn't care. I remember motel places like Formule 1... Are they any good now? Any other recommendations? Would need to be family room with cot as its with a 5yr old and a 2 yr old.

Or are we better off going independent place? Whatever needs to be cheap, but ok.

Many thanks

Like you, it's been years since I stayed in a Formule 1 or similar, but I seem to remember that Premiere Classe hotels are pretty much the same / same price bracket as F1, but you get your own private bathroom in the room, so no shared showers. Back in the day, that felt like a real luxury!

Ananstasia - What do you normally need to pay for an overnight in an auberge? Hubby has convinced me to go Dover to Calais rather than St Malo but now we're thinking of an overnight to stop a grumpy daddy driving but wondering if it's a false economy. We're 2 adults/2kids.....do the French do family rooms?

Hi,

French do family bedrooms,as we do also sometimes bring our kids over our holidays trips :)

but I am pretty sure not in Formule 1/1er class/hotel Inn...first price range of hotel.(they'll ask you to take 2 rooms, but without connections, just next doors)

You'll find family room from the Novotel/Mercure range of hotels (but more expensive, and rate depend on the city you want to spend the night and if it's week or WE ).

in Novotel/Mercure,Ibis (same company),Best Western and lot of h?tels, the nights are more expensive over the week than WE, as they take advantage of business trip...They do more affordable rates for tourists from Friday to Sunday evening. I would not recommend Best Western in France, as lot of them are really "old fashions, odd"(would need a complete refurbishment" it depend the owners (so well check the opinions, the pictures etc as they are not at all at the same standard for the same price around)

Ibis is a good value for money.Their hotels have a always a far better location that the Formule 1: BE CAREFULL with Formule 1, some of them are located in bad /not safe suburbs/Areas, in the middle of industrials zone, very often out of city center and difficult to find , not great when it's late evening ....especially if you drive with an English plate, more visible and expose to be ransaked!

We don't have that many B&B that you can find in the UK.

Globally, France is a bit less family friendly, no baby staff available automatically in restaurants/hotels, (but you can eat everywhere with your kids, at any time of the evening!any venue! )...so well check in advance the place you'll stay (if they have travel coat/high chairs etc).

Try the range of hotels "LOGIS DE FRANCE" 'double check the opinions over tripadvisors,booking.com). I was used to go their when I had business trips in France, it change a bit of the same decor of Novotels...and often cheaper with some wiht nice good value for money restaurants available with the h?tel. Often a warmer welcoming also. It's between a B&B and an H?tel

www.logishotels.com

Wish you nice time in France by the way!