Traffic camera

Toby Tobias

If there are any Councillors who check this Forum I would like to suggest they pursue a traffic camera for the stretch of road leading up from Wood Vale to the junction of Forest Hill Road and Colyton Road.

A friend of mine telephoned me this morning to advise that a neighbour's cat had been run over and killed by a speeding motorist who didn't stop after he/she had hit the cat,

If it hadn't been a cat it could have been a human being ..... it is a fast stretch of road that is a serious accident waiting to happen. There is a traffic camera outside the Harris Academy and that works very well with traffic slowing down accordingly, The stretch of road I am referring to above is quite long and straight and there are a lot of reckless drivers who speed up and attempt to reach the lights before they change to red. If not a traffic camera then perhaps a zebra crossing half way down, which might help to slow the traffic.

Just as an aside, this morning on my way back from the co-op the lights had turned red and I was just about to step out when a cyclist whizzed across in front of me. A traffic camera wouldn't help in this instance, but I do wish cyclists would obey the rules.

There are traffic lights at the junction of Woodvale/ Forest Hill Road, Traffic lights just past the 63 terminus bus stop, traffic lights at the Forest Hill Road Dunstan's road junction, oh I remember the days when there were none except for a zebra crossing where the traffic lights are now at the Forest Hill Road/Dunstan's road junction and how the traffic flowed so freely, no queues but then those who know best had three sets of traffic lights installed between Woodvale/Forest Hill Road and Dunstan's Road/Forest Hill Road!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it's a 20mph stretch pf road.

Sorry to hear about your neighbours cat.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently saw a UPS van drive 30mph straight through the red light while traffic was already crossing. Could have been nasty. Driver then did a U-turn fully mounting the pavement near pedestrians because he was going the wrong way anyway.

Before there were lights at that Colyton Road/Forest Hill Road junction I can tell you accidents and near misses were more frequent. The traffic may or may not flow faster without lights but there are more accidents in the long run. Strangely, there seemed to be more incidents on quiet days when you would expect the opposite.

Now if only when the council put up your traffic camera they would also do something about that Co-op lorry that parks on double yellows with its engine running for hours on end blocking the view of the nearside traffic light to approaching UPS vans. Maybe actually put a traffic warden on patrol there, I've never ever seen one.