Foreign racial slur used as bakery name on Lordship lane

Fassianos

Their replies have been a constant repeat of the racist cake story no one below the age of 70 has heard of in Greece, now widely known as chocolate cake or the below, where we're repeatedly invited for a tour of the bakery or provided with alternatives for the slur. No acknowledgement, no thought nor reassurance that the matter will be addressed or even discussed internally. Unfortunately I don't perceive this as a professional enough response when members of the community you do business in inform your of the offence your name causes.

So you have a grievance...fair enough. The target of that grievance has offered to meet and engage. And you refuse to engage until they basically cede to your demands? (top tip: negotiation usually comes BEFORE resolution, not the other way around)

Representative of the depressing world we live in... Where engagement, dialogue nuance and compromise has been replaced only by indignant, inflexible outrage....

Guess it just depends on whether one wants to feel perpetually outraged and indignant on the Internet, while achieving absolutely nothing. Or whether one wants to engage with a person that they may personally find objectionable, and perhaps end up actually getting some change/improvement....

Whatever floats your boat I guess....

The word is a known racist slur, this is clear and indisputable. The owner's opinion is irrelevant to this fact. Cakes and coffee to not fix this fact, they appease an individual at best, but do not address the racism. Racist slurs should not be used as names for businesses or anything else. If the owner denies the slur or refuses to address it, there is something wrong. How anyone can argue anything other and then say they are not a racist is baffling to me.

To the original poster, thank you for pointing this out. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I am sorry you are being questioned on this matter when your view point is clear and justified. I have written to our local MP and councillors to complain and will not be a customer of this business again. Best wishes.

@yeknomyeknom

THE word 'monkey' is also a well know racial slur. Yet you use it twice in your forum name. Albeit backwards. I'm guessing you might argue that you are not using it in a racist context.

I don't speak Greek. So I'm not trying to argue about the bakery name one way or the other. Just making the point that perhaps sometimes things aren't so black and white (no pun intended).

@TheCat

As I mentioned we wont engage with a business who's trying to use the equivalent of it's not "nword-er its nword-a" in Greek as an excuse to continue to use a racial slur as their brand name. We've left that to the relevant officials.

If you require more information you can use google translate. I attach the exact result it gives.

Lastly as Amberob mentioned on a an earlier post I am not the first Greek person to spot this and apparently not the first to reach out to the business either.

Screenshot_20221018-2145562.thumb.png.dc2e694df955c7d9fad4a84066238ec3.png

Edited by Fassianos

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...