Charidee muggers on LL

Is it only me that finds these types most annoying? I think it ought to be one's free choice to give to charities or not (I do) without being hassled outside Somefield or wherever. It is as bad as people flogging stuff on your doorstep. No matter how they do it, I will be turned off if it is the hard sell.

Neal St levels of gauntlet-running in a couple of years time?

Totally agree mlteenie.

Also I'm not really that keen on handing over all my credit or debit card details to some random on the street, whether it's for charity or not.

I can see why they do it however it does annoy me - it's a personal choice to donate money or not. I would rather sign up via the internet than giving all my details in the street.

(edited for spelling)

Yers it drives me nuts.... I remember my first encouter with a chugger was about seven/ eight years ago. They were wearing a tabard for The Samaritans - something I had been considering and naively I thought they might have some information. Trying to engage them in conversation it soon became apparent that they knew absolutely nothing about the charity.

But I do understand why they are used by so many charities. A direct debit/ standing order is gold for a charity - it's that long-term commitment, the donation that is silently forgotten by the giver, the gift that gives on giving. Far better than people rattling a tin where a few coppers salves a person's conscience meaning they feel no need to give again for a while.

I had a chugger at the door this week. His first words were something along the lines of "Don't worry, I'm not looking for cash!", followed by "Can you sign up for a direct debit to charidee X"...

Cheeky sod!

The ones on the street are v annoying as well; however, clearly it works for the charidees in question, or they wouldn't still be doing it.

There were three or four at one point outside Somerfield this afternoon. Usually no problem for me as though 'hallo lady in pretty scarf' am also expert in Paddington-like hard stares, but found it slightly unnerving to have them hanging around the cashpoint chatting up other people behind me as I got cash out.

At least when they're outside somerfield you can choose to look at the floor/your mobile/across the street/into your bag/at your screaming (or not) child* as a deterrant - it's the ones knocking on my door twice a week that annoy me more. I have taken to not answering it...

*delete as applicable

My heart sank when I saw them today - we've also had a real increase in people knocking at the door around 8 o'clock at night which I find even more invasive. I'm not even sure I do understand why charities adopt this approach, it would seem everyone I know hates chuggers as much as I do and avoids them, and consequently the charities, like the plague........

I really object to this too, they used to be out in force on Lordship Lane all the time, I thought it had stopped.

They are preying on people's fears of being thought mean I think. I used to tell them why I wasn't going to sign up (because I already give to charities of my own choice), now I don't even bother to do that.

But they're not as bad in my view as those people who come to the door trying to get you to change your gas or electricity supplier, who never have any information they can leave you and seem to expect you'll just immediately say "Oh OK if you say it's cheaper than x I'll believe you and sign up without doing any research whatsoever".

:))

I often find, if you personally have the time, stopping to talk to them, get them to do their whole "sales pitch" stuff ask them some totally random questions that are quite indepth about the charity in question which they are unlikely to be able to answer, get into a loudly spoken but not shouting debate over such questions allowing others around to hear and then after say half an hour tell them you're not interested works a treat :)) This approach also works well for those religious fanatics who insist on forcing their views and beliefs on you!

Also, politely pointing out, when going into a shop, that you only have money to spend on your shopping and then when coming out of the shop that you have spent all your money leaves them speechless hehe

I can understand raising money in this fashion for charity is a big fund booster but really I do object to days on LL when there are several different charities stretched on both sides of the Lane all the way down and they won't leave you alone. To donate to charity is by choice yet they make you feel as if you're an evil person if you don't surrender to their harrassment.

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

and then after say half an

> hour tell them you're not interested

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Half an hour ????? Life's too short!

Mind you I once lived with a man who used to invite Jehovah's Witnesses in for a cup of tea and then ask them questions about their interpretation of the Bible which they were totally unable to answer, hence ensuring that they never came back :)

But hopefully not destroying their faith - what would they do with all that spare time when they weren't knocking on doors? Talk to chuggers, perhaps :)

THEY ARE PARASITES

I have never EVER managed to get a straight answer about how much of the money they keep and how much goes to the charity.

Also, I seriously object to the way the male chuggers come on to the women and the female chuggers try and flirt with the guys. If you don't believe this happens just stand and watch for a while - it's nauseating.

They are a nuscience. If you want to sign up with any of the charities then just google that charity and sign up direct. That way the parasites won't get anything.

Sue Wrote:

> KalamityKel Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> and then after say half an

> > hour tell them you're not interested

>

> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>

>

> Half an hour ????? Life's too short!

>

> Mind you I once lived with a man who used to

> invite Jehovah's Witnesses in for a cup of tea and

> then ask them questions about their interpretation

> of the Bible which they were totally unable to

> answer, hence ensuring that they never came back

> :)

>

> But hopefully not destroying their faith - what

> would they do with all that spare time when they

> weren't knocking on doors? Talk to chuggers,

> perhaps :)

Mr WeeQuinnie went through a phase of inviting them in as well, to try and convert them to atheism - he said he was pretty sure he was on the verge of a conversion on a number of occasions.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> I once had a "chugger" declare their undying love

> for me and got down on his knees in proposal... I

> suppose one could see that as a strong devotion to

> the cause...

xxxxxxx

And did you accept? :))