Constant Parties Dunstans Road

• 7 months later...
On 30/04/2023 at 05:25, Ronnijade said:

I have no idea what house it’s coming from. 

Report it anyway - even just a rough idea of where it's coming from will be sufficient for the council and yours is unlikely to be the only complaint. If they've got multiple complaints all with rough info of "it's a few houses along" or "it's out the back" they can traingulate it fairly accurately.

Put it this way, there's nothing to lose by reporting it. Keep a diary of when it happens - date, time and duration - cos it'll all be important to build a case. A one-off is easy to dismiss but regular breaches will get looked into.

• 3 months later...

Try calling the Southwark noise team when it’s happening and I hope you have better luck than me. We have a barking, whining dog near us - which we have never seen walked. My concerns of welfare as well as the hours of whining - reported 3 times have not been acted on and they require active noise to come out and investigate. Have tried twice and both times they failed to turn up. This despite my written concerns about a young child in the presence of a distressed dog. RSPCA next.

I think the council policy should be one of active intervention if it’s an ongoing compliant.

As suggested above, keep a record of the noise, with dates and times, if you aren't already, to show to the noise team when/if they turn up.

See if you can record it from your house, eg on an app on your mobile (eg Dolby)

Ask your neighbours if it is causing them problems as well, and if so ask them to keep records as well, and coordinate calls to Southwark when it is actually happening.

Surely you must have some idea of where it's coming from? If you can bear to, if it's still going on in the early hours, couldn't you walk around and pinpoint the house? There can't be much other noise at that time of day?

Good luck!

If you call the noise team when it is actually happening, stand outside, so they can hear it.  They will have no problem in finding where it is coming from if they come out.   You must keep a diary though.  Other than witnessing it themselves, they need evidence.

I reported them to the Noise Team last night at around 1am. They told me they would call back within the hour to ask if the party was ongoing/if they should come out. 

2 hours later and no phone call still. Rang back and asked them what was taking so long and the woman on the phone told me sometimes they can be delayed by other complaints. Well! It’s now 12:45pm, 12 hours after I made the official complaint and I still haven’t received a phone call! How hopeless. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ronnijade said:

I reported them to the Noise Team last night at around 1am. They told me they would call back within the hour to ask if the party was ongoing/if they should come out. 

2 hours later and no phone call still. Rang back and asked them what was taking so long and the woman on the phone told me sometimes they can be delayed by other complaints. Well! It’s now 12:45pm, 12 hours after I made the official complaint and I still haven’t received a phone call! How hopeless. 

Yep that's my experience. Still it's worth pursing - do also complain to your local Councillor.

2 hours ago, heartblock said:

Yep that's my experience. Still it's worth pursing - do also complain to your local Councillor.

Complain to your councillor and copy to Helen Hayes (or whoever your MP is),  and the local paper.

The last two won't be able to do anything I imagine, but it might make the councillor put pressure on.

What a farce. What's the point of having a noise control department if they don't actually do anything to control noise?

Completely agree Sue - in my written complaint to the noise team, I also expressed my concern for welfare, as small children around a distressed dog - no action has been taken at all. 

If there are several complaints about noise at night as in Ronnijade's case - I just don't understand why the Noise Team doesn't take a more pro-active stance.

We are after all, paying for this service.

• Haha 1