Derelict Grove Tavern

There is no way the council could justify spending a huge amount on that land for leisure use when they have already built over ball courts and parks elsewhere in the borough.

I think you're probably right and so that makes me wonder if the place has a shelf life.

• 3 months later...

Hello,
I'm posting here a heads-up for increased noise level (you might have seen this already on other threads)
Sat 8th July 2023: Noon - 6pm (free entry), there will be an Open Stage amateur music live event in the Grove skatepark. Please note, the scale is smaller than the very loud 2 x past professional music events (I wasn't involved in neither). Nevertheless, you are likely to notice of the increased noise level.

1. I obtained a Temporary Event Notice for the upcoming event from the Southwark Council, and the local police is aware of the event too
2. The scale of the upcoming Open Stage is a lot smaller than the very loud 2 x past events
3. We guarantee to stop the noise by 6pm because the hire company needs to start de-rigging at 6pm sharp

We have a smooth techno DJ from noon to kick off, but some bands can be quite noisy 'hardcore death punk' genre, so please be warned of the non-melodious frenzied beats and deathly roars coming from the Grove on that day...

This is a free event, so you're very welcome to pop in, otherwise please accept my apologies for the more-than-usual noise level.

I'd be grateful if you could pass on the info to your neighbours. This event means a lot to the teenage DJ/bands who's been practising hard in the run-up to this event.

Kind regards,
Tilly -The Grove Skatepark support- TheGroveOpenStage1-1_DEflyer.thumb.jpg.2113622debf9434f8c6d06502ccc96bd.jpg

Edited by Matil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, malumbu said:

Thanks and good luck on your event.  I may shuffle round looking a little out of place 🙂

Everyone is welcome! The DJ & bands are eager to impress the unsuspected Dulwich locals 😎

Whatever the noise they are emitting, you can certainly appreciate their devotion and energy.

"looking a little out of place" haha, there's no 'correct' way to enjoy. Any attendance is equally appreciated! 👍

• Thanks 1

Good luck Matil - quite the community centre-piece you have developed at The Grove - well done to everyone involved and have a great day.

And just remember Dave Grohl's quote when you talk about the noise they are emitting: 

Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they'll suck, too. And then they'll start playing and they'll have the best time they've ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they'll become Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-ass ****, and they became the biggest band in the world. 

• Like 3

EVENT CANCELLED for Sat 8th July
Sadly, there were paperwork oversights which I couldn't make it work in time.

Luckily, the majority of equipment was cancelled in time, so no massive financial loss from this setback. We're hoping to find a licensed venue in the area for the DJ/bands to enjoy the Open Stage, nevertheless.

We will find our resilience and energy in the support we received from the ED forum 🥰

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Idea: Working NEAR HOME space - the pub building re-purposed for commercial co-working space?

"hubs like Patch are located in residential areas, a walk away from people's homes. A range of companies are vying to grab this market in local, community co-working hubs."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67334476

This could be the future of the Grove Tavern:
WorkNearHope-Church-retrofit.thumb.jpg.bc899e3b380c5e6d6834a803f554e8e9.jpg

Possibly? I like the idea that the space can be hired for business as well as other community purposes, be if for a fee. And (wishfully thinking!) to keep the skatepark mostly intact, the building ground/basement levels for paid gym/activity spaces, maybe.

Given that the area is mostly residential, capturing the working-from-home population from a commercial angle, with a more community-driven business model might be more feasible.

What about a flexible gym/activity space, a bike repair shop, possibly a nursery, a cafe and co-working space combined? Effectively giving working adults in the area a space to work in a more social setup while they can leave their kids nearby.

More of a shared communal living space for a fee. The local vibe is mostly residential, so why not tap into the needs of the existing population and maximise that homely characters than trying to make it something else.

Talking purely out of my wild imagination 😉 (did I say a small petting zoo 🐔🐰 in the garden area of the Grove Tavern?)

Edited by Matil

• 4 months later...

Has anyone noticed the dog patrol van outside the old Grove pub? Been parked there for a few weeks.

Didn't think much of it at first - thought it was just security for a derelict building.

But the van looks very battered, with almost fake looking dog security stickers, and no company name or number. There's always someone sat in the front but I never see any dogs...