Fans of Bellenden...

shorri

Not sure if there has been a previous thread on this topic, but are there people out there with views on Bellenden Road...?

My take is that there was considerable investment a short while ago but little in the way of ongoing planning. It has the potential to be great and really the heart of "posh" peckham but without some kind of ongoing plan is in danger of drifting backwards. Some of it is relatively small things like the lights above the shops being broken/fallen down and the some of the AG bollards being hit by cars then not fixed, but there is also a larger piece around the policies for commercial properties (what should they be allowed to be used for, should they be allowed to be offices/storage or should they have to be retail etc.).

Of course there's the argument that it's had a cash injection, other places now need attention etc., etc. but that's not the point of this post!

The point is - does anyone else feel strongly that Bellenden Road needs a bit of a push to make sure it keeps going in the right direction and doesn't degenerate? If so are there views on how we could do something about it - pressure local council or anyone else??

I've known the Bellenden area for a few years now (in fact, it has been said, I put the bellend in Bellenden Road) and as far as I can see it's almost gone backwards. The 'Experiment' was great and there are some nice shops etc. down there but I think it has always suffered from being too small. It's not got the stock of premises to offer enough variation of shops or services imho.

I thought this was a thread praising our very own Bellenden Belle - bah!

I like the Bellenden Rd area quite a lot and spend a fair bit of time down that way.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of an area being "pushed" as "posh". If an area is safe and relatively crime-free I'm not bothered who lives there

Pongo - very good.

SeanMacGabhann - get your point, forget the "posh" bit. My concern is more around the opportunity to create an attractive stretch of shops that enhance the community feel and avoid yet another uninspiring stretch that we see all around London (complete with Texas Chicken etc). Of course I am biased cos I live there and yes it's a middle class perspective before anyone wants to get stuck in but it seems like BR is on the cusp and could go either way. With a bit of imagination (and funding) could be really good or, as Sandperson says, could just go backwards which would be a shame since progress has been made. By the way, Sandperson, I hear you on the size - def will never be a Lordship Lane - but I think it has enough properties to serve the local area, there are quite a few unoccupied at the moment. Mind you, how the Experiment/Brasserie is still in business f*ck knows - I've never seen anyone in there...

I wouldn't worry about it going "backwards". I think some of the businesses on the road will struggle in the next year or two with possible closures and the place will feel less cushty. But then so will most other places. When the financial tide turns around again it will be fine. Chicken shops (and the like) need heavier footfall

the brasserie/ex PexP - it's changed hands a few times. I haven't been for ages but didn't have quite the horror-story some people have experienced there -

Fair play Bob. I am sensitive to that point of view. Market forces and all that. With respect to "need"; I have no idea. With resepect to "deserve"; it's subjective and I am biased as previously stated.

But really your point is what?

Shops and services should grow around the needs and wants of the community that exists.

The wannabee engineers of 'Bellenden Village' decided long ago on some crackpot notion of 'build it and they will come'.

But they didn't. And the result is a bit of a dog's dinner. Not in a 'bad' way (I'm sure it's a fine place to live) but I just get the impression that if it'd been left alone and not meddled with as someone's pet project it would have found its own equilibrium by now and been all the better for it.

I certainly think there has been a lack of imagination in the new shops that have opened recently - a very downmarket fish and chip shop; a locksmith (really? is that soooo necessary?); the poor takeover of Peckham Experiment; the "organic" shop which seems to have arrived with price tags to match East Dulwich Deli and stock to match Costcutter across the road.

But mostly I don't mind the mix and match of the street - in fact I rather like it (I feel equally served by Petitou and Sam's Kebab house!) - but I fear what a recession might do to the likes of Fenton Walsh or even the gorgeous Review bookshop.

But ultimately I don't fear too much for the area - the regeneration has worked in that the streets have been cleared up, and I sense people take pride in their area. Living currently in Queens Road area which is about six years behind Bellenden but is undergoing a similar regeneration project, there is a palpable difference.

I look forward to returning to the Bellenden area very soon....

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> shorri Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> With a bit of imagination (and

> > funding) could be really good

>

> How much imagination (and funding) does a place

> need/deserve?

This is also spot on. I had friends move from Northcross Road (after making a tidy profit on their one bed flat) to the regeneration area. They were easily able to afford the house and the refurb it needed but got a new roof and a substantial amount of refurb on the property through the regen scheme. Seems a bit off to me.

a very downmarket fish and chip shop

If this is a reference to The Codfather, I have to say - Mrs Ted and I tried it recently and the food was good.

Apart from that - The Bellend will be what it will be. If an area needs 15 printing shops and a coffee and sandwich shop that doesn't actually sell coffee or sandwiches, then that's what it will get. If it doesn't need these businesses, then we can always prop them up with Bob's Tax Poonds.

Best shop must be Lucius & Richards - great bread and breakfast. Watch the film "Last Orders" for quite a few scenes around Bellenden Rd - including Michael Caine standing in his butchers (Lucius & Richard)

Not a lot of people know that

I lived just off Bellenden Road last year and I found that while there's a strong sense of community and the tiny villagey bit where the shops are is good - kind of a satellite of E Dulwich - it feels a bit isolated and I felt like I was taking my life in my hands every time I came home from work late.

as a non Bellenden resident either visiting friends or short-cutting to Peckham I am always a bit disappointed - I like the AG bollards, am amused by the lights, love the mosaics but never feel there is much reason to hang about - the bookshop (I forget it's name) being the exception. It really needs a cool bar or cafe / bar and (dare I say it) a Caffe Nero style coffee and sofas hangout....

And just opposte Bar Storey is I'l Giardina (sp?) - lovely homely Italian...

And many rave about South Indian restaurant Ganapati at the top of Bellended.

And Friends of Fabrics is a realy great drycleaners and great for alterations too - and really friendly

And Casa is a great reproducation / reclaimation resource

And the Gowlett does great pizzas and Fruili beer....

And The Montpellier is getting better, and has a really good new menu (and possibly a new manager)

Seriously, I think a lot of the "concern" for the area come from people who don't live there...which I find curious.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought this was a thread praising our very own

> Bellenden Belle - bah!

>

I'm a fan of Bellenden Belle,

one day I'll start a thread about her.