Warning - handyman Barry Hopkins - 07547333593

mayo

I posted this a while ago but it seems to have been taken down...

I asked Barry to do some work for me - foolishly agreed to give him £100 up front for materials as I thought cash flow might be an issue for him.

This was 7th June. He has not done any work for me, refused to refund my money and is not responding to any messages.

Please do not use him - he is a thief.

• 2 weeks later...
I was also the victim of Barry Hopkins scam. Without a doubt the most dishonest person I have come across in all my property management dealings. He offered to do some decorating for me before the tenants expected to moved-in in three days. As he had done couple of jobs for me before, I trusted him and regrettably gave him £280 up front for materials. He didn’t show up and has not refunded me my money or responded to my calls and messages either. He lures you in his web with charm and reasonable prices and then scams you like any rogue tradesman. Be aware of this THIEF do not use him or fall for his TRAP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Might be worth mentioning it to local SNT (Police). An elderly friend was scammed in a similar way some years ago and mentioned it to our SNT who were very interested as they knew that several people had paid up front for work which was either never undertaken or badly done. With the help of my friend they set up a situation and caught the men in question.

Police can access mobile phone details and get names and locations.

• Administrator

Just to confirm, Barry has been banned from the forum as of a few months ago and I have hidden the recommendations given to him. New forum members won't be able to find his posts.

He did have a handful of recommendations from established forum members which I expect were legitimate. However he has at some point this year gone rouge and started scamming people.

I suspect that Barry is now going under a different name. I had a leaflet through the door for painting and decorating services. Was quoted and a low price and quickly asked for £100 for materials.

Does anyone who fell victim to Barry have any more information they could share? I’m hesitant to call someone out as I refused a deposit, but I was immediately suspicious. One thing I expect could stand out is almost incomprehensible messages and overuse of the 👍.

Hello all

Up date. I gave Barry £300 in July to put a shed up. Usually definitely would not give anyone money up front , but he did some small jobs on time so i had built some trust. Although he wanted money up front - i highlighted i was a nurse and therefore could not afford to loose money.

Anyway he still has not done the work on the shed .

I have rang him several times a day for several days and he has not picked up. He has text to say he is going through a messy divorce and now living in Gillingham , not intending to return.

I value all the advise on here and I will be contacting check a trades , trading standards and the local police. i have a photo copy of his driving licence , so i shall write to the address on there and see where i get.