NCT alternatives in the local area?

Hello parents of the forum,

I'm due in June and due to a long moving situation have only just confirmed where i will be living when my little one is born. Many people have recommended NCT but practically all the classes around where we are now and the new place are booked up now - the only one left is on a friday when myself and my partner both are at work so either we would both have to take AL or I would go alone which kind of ruins the point of going and makes it even more expensive than it is..

My question is are there any alternatives that anyone knows of around the ED/Forest Hill/Sydenham/CP area? I'm already going to the NHS ones at Kings which are great but wonder if these are enough?

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences!

Hi, I can recommend Ariadna Sole. My partner and I did a 6 week course run by Aridna last year. We met 7 lovely couples and the sessions were informative and relaxed. We met above the Mag pub and there was lots of opportunity to ask questions and Ariadna encouraged social catch ups with the other couples. Her website is bump, birth and beyond I think. Aridna is a midwife and extremely knowledgeable. Hope this helps, Emma

We went to a course run by Ariadna too and I would highly recommend her. If you run a search on her name you'll find others on her who also endorse her and probably a thread from Ariadna about her next course dates.

I' also recommend joining the summer babies thread in the Family Room. I've made lots of new friends via the winter babies thread and meet ups!

we did the ones at Dulwich Hospital and didn't bother with anything else - thought they were very good and when various bits and pieces happened during actual labour we didn't panic as we felt up to speed

By all means book extra classes if you wish, but don't feel the free ones at the hospital aren't enough

Congratulations - exciting time! Do you want to go to the classes for information or to meet people? If the former, in my experience the NCT classes basically duplicated the hospital ones, but with rather a biased push towards anti-intervention and home birth. So not worth the time and money from that point of view. If you want to meet people, however, may be worth going even without your partner, if you'll be the one off on maternity leave and looking for things to do / people to meet up with in the local area...?

Same as Otta and Strafer Jack. I found the NHS classes at Dulwich Hospital were great in terms of information, I especially liked the breastfeeding one. I met some fantastic friends through the EDF, my first child is 4 and we are still close.

Have you considered hypnobirthing? It can be extremely effective as a way of managing labour in all it's many forms. Hollie runs classes locally and seems to be very well thought of. See http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?25,1077190. You don't get the practical postnatal, looking after baby angle, but you can get some of that from the NHS classes (which are also very good).

Thanks SW, and hi Catalpa. HypnoBirthing is indeed a great alternative childbirth education course - my website http://www.londonhypnobirthing.co.uk can offer you lots more information on what the four week course involves and how it prepares you for birth and parenthood. I run my classes from home - they're very relaxed and friendly and offer an opportunity to meet other local couples too. I actually have one place left on May group course (starting Wednesday 8th, 8.00-10.30pm in East Dulwich) - if you'd like the place let me know ASAP. Or if you'd like a chat please feel free to drop me a line any time, my contact details are on my website or you can PM me through here.

Whatever you choose, I wish you all the best for a lovely birth.

Hollie

You might be interested in the new NCT antenatal course called Birth and Beyond which is running in Camberwell SE5 starting in May finishing on June 4th. The course is on Tuesday evenings and runs for 5 sessions and then a reunion later on.

Also there are NCT postnatal courses which run in East Dulwich which are great for people who want to meet up after the birth. These are 6 week courses.

Have a look on the main nct website: nct.org.uk or to book onto courses contact Alison on [email protected]

All the best

Mollie