Triangular section screwdriver / head attachment

KidKruger

Are you sure it's a screw and not a bolt or rod? The raised part doesn't look well defined enough to me to give good purchase to anything driverlike. The nearest I've got is a head with a bowtie-like projection, with clean vertical sides. Might the shape be an orientation indicator? Pliers?

PS Thought I'd found a hit with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Tri-point-3, but they, probably predictably, have the pattern on the screw head in recess.

I believe it's a screw Ian, the other 3x screws were regular Phillips head which were easy to remove. this one seems to be some kind of security-giving screw head. I don't know why they would machine the unit to have three screw heads and one bolt head, so I'm convinced this odd one is a screw. and yeah it's a sort of curved profile at the sides, which makes for imperfect purchase form a flat-sided triangular screw, even if I do find one the right size. all I want to do is shorten the frayed cable, it's a 5min job !

So it was a TP3 screw, as in the WikiP article I mentioned? I did actually have a change of heart a couple of days ago, when I began to see the central Reuleaux triangle as a depressed area, as in the photo accompanying the article, even if it didn't seem particularly flat. But that percept disappeared, and I began seeing it as a raised 3-d object surrounded by a ditch outline. And today it's back as a depressed area, but definitely not with sharp orthogonal edges; in fact rather worn down. Is it another of your mudlarking finds?

Archived