Jubilee spirit - hmmm

so business owners who did not make the effort (flag, bunting, poster, etc.) could well have earnt a bit more if they had

The alternative point being that spending a lot of money on plastic flags and a cardboard cutout of the Queen for a one-off weekend may not be the wisest investment - especially if people are going to be up in town watching or gone on holiday.

I get the "looking smart" and "keeping the place tidy" things absolutely. I just don't necessarily get the need to festoon everything in flags.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> business owners who did not make the

> effort (flag, bunting, poster, etc.) could well

> have earnt a bit more if they had...do your best to make money...I don't have a business to think of

Looks like most of the people who do have a business to think of decided bunting wouldn't make them money.

A lot of money on flags? Be serious, please. A few quid - twenty or so at most and likely a lot less.

xdulwicher Wrote:

> so business owners who did not make the effort

> (flag, bunting, poster, etc.) could well have

> earnt a bit more if they had

>

> The alternative point being that spending a lot of

> money on plastic flags and a cardboard cutout of

> the Queen for a one-off weekend may not be the

> wisest investment - especially if people are going

> to be up in town watching or gone on holiday.

>

> I get the "looking smart" and "keeping the place

> tidy" things absolutely. I just don't necessarily

> get the need to festoon everything in flags.

Nigello, the problem is that you have chosen to point bah humbug during the jubilee festivities. Do you do the same at Xmas and Halloween for example, and then post on here to say which shops have tinsel on them and which not?

Your post smells too much of pointing a finger to those who do not partake on the rejoicing of the queen. You are upset that some shops have chosen not to celebrate the jubilee, and that?s your motivation for giving ?business advice?.

June is LGBTQ+ month. Are you going to keep a tally of businesses who do not display the rainbow flag for example? How about Pentecost this weekend? Any thoughts on how businesses could improve their marketing during Pentecost next year?

Maybe the local shops did their research. The ED demographic is made up of a lot of young professionals, it might come as a surprise to older generations, but they're not that interested in the Royal Family. They're not raging Republicans with guillotines in hand, but do think it's an anachronism, an odd, archaic institution in modern day Britain.

At the moment the Queen is the glue that holds it all together. When she eventually passes, as well as countries like Australia officially declaring themselves as a Republic, I suspect we'll also see a much reduced monarchy in the UK public eye, becoming less important over time and less reliant on the public purse, more akin to the Scandinavian model.

A very British compromise that will keep the Royalists and Republicans happy...

A pared down monarchy was very much the message of the balcony appearance on Sunday afternoon just HM, POW and Camilla and the Cambridges, the latter very much representing the future of the monarchy and of the generation that sees themselves as an anachronism. When QEII came to the throne, royalty was viewed as just one step away from God, thankfully that attitude has long gone.

One thing I'd like to see if the monarchy does indeed have a reduced role in the future, is a national anthem that reflects the country and people as a whole, instead of the dirge to one person and those of a religious persuasion.

By all means keep the current one for Royal events, but give the rest of us a more optimistic hands in the air like you just don't care choon!...

One thing I'd like to see if the monarchy does indeed have a reduced role in the future, is a national anthem that reflects the country and people as a whole, instead of the dirge to one person and those of a religious persuasion.

By all means keep the current one for Royal events, but give the rest of us a more optimistic hands in the air like you just don't care choon!...

Bill Bailey has some excellent takes on the National Anthem - he once asked why we would call upon an unspecified deity to save an unelected head of state from an untold fate. And then played a jazz version of the National Anthem.

Strangely, he didn't do that one while performing at the Royal Variety Show. ;-)

diable rouge Wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see if the monarchy does

> indeed have a reduced role in the future, is a

> national anthem that reflects the country and

> people as a whole, instead of the dirge to one

> person and those of a religious persuasion.

> By all means keep the current one for Royal

> events, but give the rest of us a more optimistic

> hands in the air like you just don't care

> choon!...

What, like Sweet Caroline??

Unfair comparisons - you know as well as I do that this was a one-off national occasion, similar to the Olympics though much shorter, and that businesses often choose to hitch a ride on a bandwagon they don't especially like (World Cup, Hallowe'en, and yes, pride) to make a bit of money and to generate footfall for themselves and the wider business community. Nobody could have avoided the jubilee and many will have had extra time off work and therefore more likely to want to consume, so why not just invest a little in this never-to-be-repeated event and make some money? And yes, I was pleased to have taken part in the jubilee events though I am not a dyed-in-the-wool royalist so the idea that I am a tub-thumping monarchist doesn't wash. As for Pentecostals, give me a Lutheran any day...

Jumping on the olympics, pride, Xmas bandwagon etc I can understand.

But considering the hardships some people are going through, and the silver spoon of tbe royals, perhaps for some this bandwagon was too much to swallow, ethically speaking.

diable rouge Wrote:

> One thing I'd like to see if the monarchy does

> indeed have a reduced role in the future, is a

> national anthem that reflects the country and

> people as a whole, instead of the dirge to one

> person and those of a religious persuasion.

> By all means keep the current one for Royal

> events, but give the rest of us a more optimistic

> hands in the air like you just don't care

> choon!...

The National Anthem is here to stay.

diable rouge Wrote:

> At least give it a chance hammerman.

>

> Think of all the fun you and Nige will have

> listening to it while chasing migrants around

> Dover...