Solar panels

Were these quotes done recently? With the massive increase in power prices and rise of WFH (it's better to use the power than sell it to the grid) i believe the payback period can be around 8 years

When leaflet for solar panels from the mayor's office came through the door I decided to register my interest. Mayor Khan explained that once Londoners had signed up (with no obligation to proceed), he would send it out to tender. The company called Green Energy Together was awarded the contract. I have a small 3 bed and the cost of panels plus battery came to about ?6.5k. The battery cost came to almost half of the cost but you don't have to included it in the package. Anyway I went ahead with it and the installation all went swimmingly. There was a bit of a delay on the admin side getting the paperwork together but it all came good in the end. It was installed just before Christmas and I didn't see much production in winter. However, to give you some idea I've just checked total production and consumption for the month of May. Consumption 4.12kwh, Production 3.10 kwh. Bear in mind that we are home a lot, so Tele, lights, kettle going most of the day and also all electric cooking. My biggest bugbear is not being able to connect it to the grid yet because we can't get our smart meter converted, despite waiting 2 years.....but that's another story.

It's good that you had a positive experience as so many were dismissive if this scheme including a thread on this forum. It should also add value to the property. Our issue is that they would have to go on the front of the house. If people have issues with pay back on solar panels, you should look at grey water and rain water recycling. Can cost 10s of 1000s

So? I expect it didn't meet planning law/framework. If the decision was wrong then they could get it overturned by the planning inspectorate. If it was not in the approved application but was ok in principle then permission may have been granted retrospectively

More importantly do you have a view on the original question? I did.

You won't be the only person here who has an issue with Southwark but there are other threads you can join in.

I had 7 panels installed by Green Energy Together in March 2022. Customer service, communication, installation date scheduling,have all been appalling.

I am still waiting for a battery, without which I cannot export any excess energy to the grid.

I cannot recommend this company.

h3+ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Were these quotes done recently? With the massive

> increase in power prices and rise of WFH (it's

> better to use the power than sell it to the grid)

> i believe the payback period can be around 8 years

The quotes were in April this year. Definitely not cost effective. With payback in 20 years, there are no savings to be made.

Lebanums Wrote:

> h3+ Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Were these quotes done recently? With the

> massive

> > increase in power prices and rise of WFH (it's

> > better to use the power than sell it to the

> grid)

> > i believe the payback period can be around 8

> years

>

>

> The quotes were in April this year. Definitely not

> cost effective. With payback in 20 years, there

> are no savings to be made.

You might be able to check if they used the new price cap rate if its mentioned on your quote. The new rate is around 28.34p per kwh compared to 20.8p per kWh. It looks like it might be getting closer to 40p per kwh from Oct

I expect this market was helped by government subsidies which always ends up with some shysters getting involved. Always helpful for good and bad comments about contractors on a suitable forum - trust a trader, trade associations and the like. General rule in any service is see whether they are a trade association member and if there is a code of practice. Sadly since austerity government tends not to get involved and local authorities have slashed trading standards teams. Ultimately you can go to court which I did once years ago and they settled rather than challenged. Of course you should complain to the company first.

A little off piste but don't let one shoddy company put you off. I would have thought that solar panels added to the value of property. The Archer family are fitting them to their milking shed in Ambridge in the West Midlands.

As posted above, I used Green Energy Together and they did everything on the day they said they would. Installation, follow up inspection, everything to plan and in good order. Strange how two different households can have such a different experience.

louisemurray Wrote:

> My experience with them is an ongoing nightmare.

> No response to emails, only respond and promise

> but dont deliver when you get through after a

> lengthy wait.

>

> All I can say is lucky you.

Have you tried posting a review on their Facebook page? They seem to reply quite quickly to negative comments

h3+ Wrote:

> Lebanums Wrote:

> -----

> > h3+ Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Were these quotes done recently? With the

> > massive

> > > increase in power prices and rise of WFH

> (it's

> > > better to use the power than sell it to the

> > grid)

> > > i believe the payback period can be around 8

> > years

> >

> >

> > The quotes were in April this year. Definitely

> not

> > cost effective. With payback in 20 years, there

> > are no savings to be made.

>

> You might be able to check if they used the new

> price cap rate if its mentioned on your quote. The

> new rate is around 28.34p per kwh compared to

> 20.8p per kWh. It looks like it might be getting

> closer to 40p per kwh from Oct

The new rate was used. I will never make my money back whilst living in my current house. I have 0 interest in pursuing this until the cost comes down. Also investigated a heat pump, but the placement of the external unit would mean it would not work as intended.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone on here received their paperwork - ie Certificate of Installation and Handover pack from this company? I have chased up many times by phone and email and am still waiting since my installation in March 2022

I have been trying to contact them via the commissioners for Southwark council scheme Solar Energy Together. No progress so far.

Do not use this company.

Quite amazing that the offer from Green Energy Together was accepted by the council considering this looks to be the same people (David Elbourne) that were responsible for Solarplicity. They also had an astonishingly poor track record (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarplicity).

In fact Ofgem took action against the company in 2019: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47329324 and they were in administration by the end of year (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/solarplicity-companies-information-for-customers).

Looking at the google reviews for Green Energy Together, this clearly isn't just Southwark. Nor does it look like Mr Elbourne has improved on his track record.