New restaurants needed in ED

The success of the Georgian restaurant on LL demonstrates the potential for alternatives to what we have at present.

We need more variety that gets us away from the multitude of curry houses we have at present. The Lane should be able to support a wider variety such as Greek, Hungarian, Lebanese, Ethiopian, etc.

And how will you achieve this. Market forces, businesses move into the area due to perceived demand and financial return. If you need greater variety you have Peckham. Otherwise this is pub talk. Nothing wrong with pub talk of course 🙂

Unfortunately LL is going the way of Dulville Village..as long as a place can entertain a quick meal for the kiddies in buggies and their exhausted parents, it thrives in mediocrity. Kartuli is great, different and excites me every time I go there and some of the cafes further up have some good breakfast/lunch choices. Oru space is great but is breakfast and lunch. Franklin's still holds it's own. Franca Manca and Yama Momo have dropped in quality. The curry houses are all just curry houses. God I long for some food experience that is better than the food I can cook at home...

The adults have left and it's just an extended nursery as far as I can tell.

I?d also prefer a wider diversity of cuisine on LL (I?d like to see Tibetan, or NorthEast Thai, or Burmese), but given the soaring business rates, exorbitant rents, increasing running costs, it?s not a viable likelihood.

We?re possibly less likely to see that than we have ever been !

The focus will be increasingly mainstream I?d expect - as businesses chase the most likely buck, in a bid to somehow survive.

sspringer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The success of the Georgian restaurant on LL

> demonstrates the potential for alternatives to

> what we have at present.

>

> We need more variety that gets us away from the

> multitude of curry houses we have at present. The

> Lane should be able to support a wider variety

> such as Greek, Hungarian, Lebanese, Ethiopian,

> etc.

Curry Houses... ??

We have lost Swadesh.. Jaflong.. Surma.. Curry Cabin.. from Lordship Lane..

DulwichFox

A good Mexican would be very welcome.

I think the days of good independent outlets are dwindling in Dulwich unfortunately. Apparently the Dulwich demographic is changing once again and there has been an influx of monied folks from Chelsea, Islington and Essex moving to Dulwich for the greener spaces and proximity to London and are the only ones able to afford the ludicrous house prices that have been seen post pandemic. I think that is why we are seeing chains like Joe & The Juice and Megan's opening outlets here - chasing the ?.

Interesting to see places like Walter's opening in West Dulwich, I wonder if the independent places are being pushed a little further out (although you could argue Walter's is part of a group rather than a chain).

I have been to Oystermen... everything was tooooooooooo salty, we sent a salad back twice because it was like drinking seawater, but I intend to give Walter's a go. At least they might not charge us for an undelivered beer as Franca Manca did the other day... compounded by blaming the Uber driver..

Wishlist for me is:-

Korean

an interesting/regional chinese (Sichuan would be amazing)

Moroccan or other north african

Authentic Sri Lankan or South Indian (I know we have Ganapati but would be lovely to have something similar on LL)

Plus anything else diverse and interesting, Persian/Ethiopian/Lebanese/Vietnamese all sound great.

Maybe we could create a new business model where we all petition for a new restaurant! I'm not so keen on "stand alone" Korean so would need to be slightly more pan Asian to get my vote. Sichuan - yes, although am still recovering from a malaysian chinese university friend taking me to an authentic Sichuan restaurant and insisting I order the hot and sour soup. Love Sri Lankan, and Moroccan would be good. Don't know much about other north African food.

heartblock Wrote:

> Unfortunately LL is going the way of Dulville

> Village..as long as a place can entertain a quick

> meal for the kiddies in buggies and their

> exhausted parents, it thrives in mediocrity.

> Kartuli is great, different and excites me every

> time I go there and some of the cafes further up

> have some good breakfast/lunch choices. Oru space

> is great but is breakfast and lunch. Franklin's

> still holds it's own. Franca Manca and Yama Momo

> have dropped in quality. The curry houses are all

> just curry houses. God I long for some food

> experience that is better than the food I can cook

> at home...

>

> The adults have left and it's just an extended

> nursery as far as I can tell.

I tend to agree with much of this post.

I would love to see:

A good lebanese or Moroccan restaurant

An Israeli restaurant (some great food ideas coming out of the Tel Aviv culinary scene) Like Bala Baya in Southwark.

a Poke bowl place

a really good Jerk chicken shop (like Juicy jerk)

It saddens me that the gentrification ED has gone hand in hand with greedy landlords charging so much for shop rental that its prohibitive for smaller independent businesses this in turn leads to the area becoming just a bland middle class (is Yuppie still a term in common usage?)enclave.

weasely Wrote:

> There's a great opportunity to open a new

> sustainable restaurant, with deliveries only by

> bike, and promoting employment of minority groups.

> Vegan would get my vote.

OK Weasely, go ahead, run the numbers and let us all know when you are going to open it.

I don?t really expect my fave cuisines to somehow all magically and coincidentally occur on my high st, I?m used to (and don?t mind) heading to Lewisham to pick-up Sri Lankan or Camberwell for alt. Chinese.

We?re lucky to have these options even in the same or adjacent boroughs, let alone on a single street of our choosing !!

of course you're right, we can but dream :)

KidKruger Wrote:

> I don?t really expect my fave cuisines to somehow

> all magically and coincidentally occur on my high

> st, I?m used to (and don?t mind) heading to

> Lewisham to pick-up Sri Lankan or Camberwell for

> alt. Chinese.

> We?re lucky to have these options even in the same

> or adjacent boroughs, let alone on a single street

> of our choosing !!

Be careful or Lordship Lane could turn out like Upper Street. Virtually all eateries now chain ones, perhaps only they can afford the rates/rent; until you get half way to Highbury Corner when there are interesting independents .

d.b Wrote:

> Authentic Sri Lankan or South Indian (I know we

> have Ganapati but would be lovely to have

> something similar on LL)

We did have a South Indian restaurant on Lordship Lane not too long ago. I can't remember its name, but somebody on here will, I'm sure.

It was just down from The Palmerston, if memory serves.

It was great. Nobody went to it. It closed down.