Bus Lane on Dog Kennel Hill

pixel

Hi,

I wondering whether anyone else had noticed the ridiculous bus lane at the bottom of Dog Kennel Hill between East Dulwich Station and Sainsbury's. It seems to be completely pointless given the fact that if you want to turn left into Sainsbury's you sometimes have no choice but to go into the lane before you are supposed to.

You are supposed to wait til you are near the traffic lights where the line is broken to move over but this can be difficult if there is already a queue in the bus lane. As far as I know there are no cameras there (at least I hope not!) so as long as you aren't blocking any buses there shouldn't be a problem driving in the bus lane. Spare a thought also for the people that live on the estate left of Sainburys who not only have to contend with the bus lane but the traffic going into Sainsburys, the car wash and the staff car park at the top of Abbotswood Road!

I get the bus past there every morning, so that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I was simply saying that as most cars seem to ignore the bus lane and drive straight through it to avoid having the problem of trying to join the lane at the end, which causes major problems for cars that drive in the correct lane and then can't join the lane without causing a delay to the cars behind, there must be a better solution. Especially given that the bus lane is enforced 24 hours a day.

A number of times I've tried to join the lane and been beeped from behind while having cars flying past in the bus lane making it hard, and rather dangerous to join.

I agree with JohnL... I always wait till the bus lane disappears before pulling into the left hand lane - but always seem to encounter speed freaks intent on roaring up the bus lane (not always turning left either). Just yesterday I was wondering whether there are cameras, but I'm guessing not?

I have always thought this a weird one. It hasn't caused me any issues so far, but I have seen people getting flustered not knowing when they can turn in.

I always stick to the same rule- look out for the broken white lines and you should be ok to drive into the lane.

Peckhampam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is a camera-on the traffic light. And

> people have been caught on it!

those are not cameras but sensors that detect vehicles and will cause the lights to change if there are no other vehicles waiting at other points on the junction

You are free to drive in the bus lane at any time on the way up the hill to Sainsbury's. There is no time listed in the bus lane signs, you are only breaking the law during the hours and days listed on the bus lane sign. If the bus lane is in force 24 hours a day, then it will state "At any time", otherwise you are free to drive in the bus lane if outside the hours and days listed.

I find it amusing watching people look at me as I drive in the bus lane legally, because people don't know you can drive in the lane outside of the hours...

By the way, the square boxes on top of traffic lights, are transponder receivers, which are used by Ambulances and Fire Engines. They emit a signal from the front of their vechiles, which is received by these boxes, and it changes all the lights the red, so they can pass through safely.

Spencer

Spencer

I thought a bus lane which states ?At any time? OR has no hours of operation on the sign operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week....I think there are no hours of operation listed so you have to keep out of it...but you seem pretty clued up (didn't know about the transponder receivers)

JM

Agree it is ridiculous - it seems to do the opposite of helping the traffic flow as bottlenecks of cars trying to get into Sainsburys occur.

On the subject of bus lanes - on the opposite side of the road seems to be an equally silly arrangement where the bus lane and the main traffic lane are on different traffic light systems. I've lost count of hte number of times i have crossed that road with people and they look only at the main traffic lights, and step out only to get nearly knocked over by a double decker hurtling through the bus lane.