Zebra Crossing - East Dulwich Grove across to the Dulwich Grove Reformed Church

I live near this crossing so granted I see a few more of the vehicle sudden stops but it has always been in a place where vehicles have built up speed in both directions. Recently one of the belisha beacons has become hidden by tree growth and the other in one direction seems to be partially obscured by the new double no through road sign (chat on the other thread for the reason it is there pls!)

As the crossing painting is pretty worn out it does seem potentially a bit of a risk, now with the school nearby and the amount of kids around.

I?m not sure if crossings are part of a regular maintenance schedule but where might be a good place to flag this with the council? or is it someone elses authority?

The whole road needs re-surfacing and the upkeep of crossings and road markings is terrible on EDG - now would be a good time to contact your local Councillor and also join the EDG residents group, who campaign for a better, cleaner and less polluted road. The only rd marking that was re-painted on EDG in the last yr was after a complaint following a tragic event.

I think there is an issue of which roads have more spent on them in terms of upkeep - Melbourne Grove as an example - new tarmac, new pavement, new road markings and upkeep is regular. EDG nothing for the last 4 years - except the one I mentioned.

There are of course loads of other roads in East Dulwich that have had new pavements - it doesn't seem to have any system to it - its not just MG

Anyway - back to the question - contact local cllrs. I know that other groups have also been pushing for zebras to be repainted as drivers speeding along EDG ( i know - hard to imagine how they manage it through the gridlock) and not stopping is an issue. I saw tweets from EDSTN Healthy Streets group on this in the past

A road can have congested/idling traffic and speeding traffic at different times of the day.

That zebra is one of many parts of EDG that represent a risk to pedestrians, cyclists and motorbike riders - the Council is aware as they received nearly a year ago a lengthy document from a group of neighbours, who were concerned about road conditions.

The road is in an even poorer condition now.

Thanks to all the posters in this thread for the info, and thanks to James McAsh for the speedy response to my email , Highways have now said "the maintenance team will address it" so at least it's been highlighted.

In the morning when there is a queue of traffic on the LL to DV direction the road painted signs are very important as is clear Zebra beacons, as pedestrians and cyclists often use this Zebra and the traffic queue sometimes gets agitated at the wait and/or doesn?t see the Zebra.

KateFord Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like there was an accident yesterday. So

> really needs to be looked into before there is a

> fatality.

Oh jeez, poor kid. Hope they're well.

I passed by this spot the other day and agree they're a bit indistinct. Don't think you could have a raised crossing here because of the frequent buses...?

The trouble with the raised crossing is the number of skip lorries going down EDG - they travel quite quickly outside of rush hour and make a sound like an exploding bomb...don't wish anymore misery on us please!

They also do not work - the fatal accident involved a raised area...so no, it certainly does not improve safety.

The markings on the road (with the exception of the post accident ramp warning signs) have not been re-painted for at least five years..... the road has not been resurfaced for over 30 years...it is pot-holed and cracked along the length.

• 3 weeks later...