party in amott road

mayfly

For future reference Southwark Noise Team will come out at pretty much any time of day (although slight difference in service between weekend and weekdays) and now can come indoors again to assess noise. As summer develops they can also assess noise in gardens. They assess noise during daylight hours as well as evening/night.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour/noise-and-nuisance

Phone if it is ongoing and they aim to call back within an hour, or report online in retrospect and they'll contact you within 3 working days.

heartblock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Party been going on for 3 days in ED Grove quite

> near us....I suspect today is day 4....not sure

> the council can do anything about a gathering with

> music that starts after 9 and stops before 11:00

> in a private garden..... unfortunately...

Why don't you phone them and see? You may be surprised.

I rang the noise team at 1am to report deafening music coming from a house in Peckham at the weekend. The man I (a woman) spoke to said the only way they could do anything was by entering my home (specifically, given the time of night, my bedroom) to assess the noise level. They couldn?t assess the noise and disturbance from the street, apparently. I also rang the police who said that they couldn?t do anything as this was an environmental health issue and were astonished when I said that apparently they could only do something once they had been inside my home. Music continued blaring our until 3.45am, having started at 11pm.

100% jobsworths. I?ve called them in the past (about a car alarm that went off for 6 hours), there was no suggestion then that they needed to enter my home to assess the level of disturbance. So I?m afraid I have no faith in them at all.

They told me the exact same thing. Entry to the bedroom of myself (a lone woman)

In the end I refused and they wandered around the neighbourhood anyway, and managed to register it as an offence.

oimissus Wrote:

> I rang the noise team at 1am to report deafening

> music coming from a house in Peckham at the

> weekend. The man I (a woman) spoke to said the

> only way they could do anything was by entering my

> home (specifically, given the time of night, my

> bedroom) to assess the noise level. They couldn?t

> assess the noise and disturbance from the street,

> apparently. I also rang the police who said that

> they couldn?t do anything as this was an

> environmental health issue and were astonished

> when I said that apparently they could only do

> something once they had been inside my home. Music

> continued blaring our until 3.45am, having started

> at 11pm.

>

> 100% jobsworths. I?ve called them in the past

> (about a car alarm that went off for 6 hours),

> there was no suggestion then that they needed to

> enter my home to assess the level of disturbance.

> So I?m afraid I have no faith in them at all.

In defence of the noise team?. I rang on Saturday for an exceedingly loud party. They explained that they had to assess the noise from inside a bedroom and was I happy to let them do that. Ok, it sounded ridiculous and I really wasn?t happy, but I wasn?t happy about the noise either so I said yes. They turned up within 20 mins of their callback to me and could obviously hear how loud the party was from my front door but they explained they could only take formal action if it had been assessed from inside a bedroom. They were in my house and bedroom for less than 20 secs to complete their formalities and within 20 mins had gone to the party and got the music shut off. I agree that the ?hear from a bedroom? rule seems absolutely crazy and not something a lone female is likely to agree to, sadly. But I also appreciate that those are the constraints that the team has to work within. And what a horrible, scary job they have and I?m pleased that on this occasion they were able to resolve the issue, not just for me but for the many streets that were being affected by this loud party.

Well, thank you for allowing them in, but saying that the only way they can deal with a hellishly loud noise which has been ongoing for several hours is to to enter someone?s home, which as you say a lone woman is simply not going to say yes to, is not a solution. You?d have to have the most unreal quadruple glazing to have kept that noise out.

So they need to come up with something else that?s workable. Like, for instance, driving to the street of the complainant, getting out of the car, getting knocked sideways by the noise and going to do something about it. They must have had hundreds of complaints about this party.

They seem to be taking what seems to be a pretty surefire way of dealing with the problem immediately, as set out in the Warning Notices section 3 of the Noise Act 1996. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/37/section/3

There's a readable account of this law and procedure at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/noise-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints#noise-at-night-warning-notices, and more in a Neighbour Noise booklet https://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Neighbour-Noise.pdf.

Sorry to be dim.

I am also a "lone woman".

I don't see the problem, if you complain about noise, with having someone come to assess the noise from your bedroom, if that is where it is disturbing you?

Presumably you are not going to answer the door in your nightgown? 🤣

Sue Wrote:

> Sorry to be dim.

>

> I am also a "lone woman".

>

> I don't see the problem, if you complain about

> noise, with having someone come to assess the

> noise from your bedroom, if that is where it is

> disturbing you?

>

> Presumably you are not going to answer the door in

> your nightgown? 🤣

My thoughts exactly. As another 'lone woman' I would prefer to have the noise assessed and dealt with speedily than my sleep/comfort/wellbeing affected by noisy eejits nextdoor.

So what if the noise is people leaving a pub at 1:00AM every night and only lasts a short time whilst they wait for their taxis and shout.

Surely Southwark can ask for notices to be put saying "please leave quietly and respect the residents" without having to attend.

How do you just register a complaint so when licensing time comes you can say there were xxx complaints after 1:00am

JohnL Wrote:

> So what if the noise is people leaving a pub at

> 1:00AM every night and only lasts a short time

> whilst they wait for their taxis and shout.

>

> Surely Southwark can ask for notices to be put

> saying "please leave quietly and respect the

> residents" without having to attend.

>

> How do you just register a complaint so when

> licensing time comes you can say there were xxx

> complaints after 1:00am

My understanding of the thread JohnL is that we're not talking about pub chucking out times, we're talking about antisocial noise nuisance from residents which is disturbing their neighbours over several hours.

JohnL Wrote:

> So what if the noise is people leaving a pub at

> 1:00AM every night and only lasts a short time

> whilst they wait for their taxis and shout.

>

> Surely Southwark can ask for notices to be put

> saying "please leave quietly and respect the

> residents" without having to attend.

>

> How do you just register a complaint so when

> licensing time comes you can say there were xxx

> complaints after 1:00am

The clue is in the heading of the thread and the contents of the first post ......