Extinction Rebellion to camp on Peckham Rye park for 2 weeks

MrsR

So, Southwark are saying they shouldn't be camping there but won't be lifting a finger to stop them? How difficult would it be to stop them setting up camp?? Bloody ridiculous.

A bit like their "consultations aren't referendums" - "not allowed but we won't stop them".

At this point I'd vote for the Monster Raving Looney Party in May if they were the front runners to get these dolts out.

Always had a lot of time for environmental protestors so will look forward to welcoming them. There's an adult conversation about appropriate direct action but hey ho, we got access to private land for ramblers and reversed the poll tax.

As I read it they?re not protesting / sitting in at the park but using it as a base to stay while protesting elsewhere (cheaper to pitch tents than go to a hotel)? Presumably a few people stay behind to ?mind the stuff? while others are off taking action? Not sure about that as a concept. All in favour of peaceful protest but not sure the council needs to host a base camp? Am I misinterpreting?

Yeah I suspect that if you or I went and pitched a tent on Peckham Rye for a few weeks the council would be less than pleased and would be doing their utmost to move us on. Travellers would not be afforded the same leniency.

I am also concerned that people with a point to prove against XR might also be attracted to the park to make their feelings felt/disrupt the camp.

Can we expect XR protests/disruption to be taking place in the local area during the duration of their camp - are they going to try and target roads like the A205 for example?

The council should really be doing their utmost to not allow them to camp but I suspect XR know the law and how long they can stay before the authorities can get orders to move them on - I think the reference to common land might be quite telling.

Owners of larger cars in the area might want to get themselves a portable type inflator just in case XR decide to bring their tyre deflating mates along with them.....

From the article it seems that the Blackheath one was with council permission?

If it's unauthorised then they should be moved on, if it's authorised in some way then I'd hope the council charges a fee and uses it to cover clean up costs etc. My main concern is that they should treat everyone the same. Is the council happy to let other groups campaigning for/ against a variety of other issues in London to camp there?

I like XR - I even think I'm on their mailing list if I recall - The Friends of Dulwich Square would love a small encampment .. 'the perfect place for an after-demo pitstop...ice cream & doughnuts, a place to enjoy spending time with friends...'

Rockets Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it is authorised then the council needs to

> explain why; XR are not a group they should be

> supporting or encouraging.

It's described as unauthorised in the original picture :)

If that happens then surely Southwark are de facto authorising it? Otherwise, if they know it is happening, wouldn?t they take steps to prevent it (not my area but presumably they?d get an injunction to make enforcement by police easier)? As far as I know it?s unlawful to camp on common land? As people have said, if it were travellers I?m sure they?d be quick to enforce. I?m guessing that after all the grief XR gave them over the climate strategy (and with an election coming up?) they don?t want to pick a fight with XR? Seems strange to me.

https://www.gov.uk/common-land-village-greens