Few children from SE22 are privately educated

I used to live in Clapham until eight years ago and agree that the demographic there is different from here. It was and is just 'smarter' and, because of the Tube link, there will be that many more City-types. The 'twixt the Commons' area was and still is very much richer than SE22 and some parts of SE21. Most of the kids I knew of went to private schools there. Nero

Not intending to direct this at anyone in particular but wanted to get my 2p's worth! My partner's son was educated at Dulwich College and now aged 22 (today in fact) he is one of the most polite and nicest young men you'd ever meet. And yes a lot of that is down to his parents and how they brought him up. I can happily say the same for some other kids I know that go to Alleyns - and the kids in my family that go to state schools. If you can afford to educate your kid privately then that's fine - if you can't then that's fine too. As long as they have some manners and grow up to make something of themselves, where they attended school shouldn't matter. Know loads of you will probably feel the same way.

trinity Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My experience to date has only been with the prep

> age range and I have noticed a distinct lack of

> children from SE22 and particularly from the east

> side of Lordship Lane.

Those I mentioned previously going to JAGS/Alleyns/DC - we are on east side of LL.

>

> From comments so far on this thread it does seem

> as if there is an influx of local children at 11.

> This suggests that there is a confidence in the

> state primary schools which is does not exist for

> secondary schools.

You may be right.

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So did you go to Haberdashers' in the end

> cdonline? That was our first choice - our son was

> in the top band but we received a letter to say he

> was 84th on the waiting list. We decided not to

> bother appealing! They don't seem to give a hoot

> if your kid is bright, hard-working and motivated,

> he'd be much better off if he had a statement.

> Which seems a little unfair.

You have to remember that Haberdashers has to take a 'comprehensive' intake (granted they have their own ways and means). This means that it cannot cream off all of the best as it has to take lower achieving kids. Two of mine go to Haberdashers. The first one did not get a place first of all and was put on the waiting list. When he got his SATS results at the end of his year 6 term we wrote to the school and asked them to reconsider. Two days later we got a call offering him a place.

Child number two got a place due to the sibling policy which came into force the year he went up. He still had to do the tests in order to be banded. It is an excellent school and both are doing well.

It is the most oversubscribed secondary school in the country.

When my daughters were of secondary age ( they are now 35 and 22) there was still the assisted places scheme, where bright/ academic children could apply for assistance with fees. A friend who was a single mum on benefits, got one for her daughter to go to St. Dunstans ( she did not like Alleyns). The Labour Party got rid of this.

A number of children who attended Goodrich School ( which did not have the reputation as it has today) at the time of eldest daughter's secondary transfer, living in council housing in SE22, went to Alleyns on the assisted places scheme.

Youngest daughter looked at St. Dunstans, refused to look at Alleyns and did not want to go to private school as none of her friends were. Both girls went to Sydenham Girls School and are graduates.

Have just read what David wrote and I have to agree that yes, you are massively under-qualified to comment. If you were in the position of being offered a school which was officially classed as "failing" until a couple of years ago for an academically gifted child, I think you might be a bit peeved as well. Try to empathize a little.

Now you tell me I am a hypocrite because I want to get my son into Haberdashers' yet disapprove of its trying to attract bright/musically gifted children. Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Haberdashers' is a comprehensive that uses banding "in order to ensure a comprehensive intake" (their words, not mine). Since music scholarships are offered, and middle-class parents know how to 'work the system' in other ways, this is plainly disingenuous. What annoys me is the fact that my son had a proportionally LOWER chance of getting in as he was placed in the top band. Why is that fair?

You suggest that because I don't approve of Habs' selection process I shouldn't apply there because "I can't have it both ways". What utter nonsense. I did not decide on the selection process. I just want a decent education for my son. If you saw the school he was offered, I'm sure you'd do the same. Nothing to do with league tables actually (why do you assume that I approve of them?) I am not "climbing up one more notch" on the league tables. The state school he was offered was one of the worst in London. All I wanted was a decent one. It doesn't have to be perfect. Why should my bright, hardworking son be offered such an atrocious one? In fact, why should ANY child?

I find it amazing that you have waded into a discussion when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. In future, I suggest you think twice before holding forth with your patronizing, misinformed remarks.

As a parent of an under school age child and another on the way, I moved to the area specifically because it had good state primary schools (as did a number of my friends with children of the same age).

I don't really see the point of paying over the odds for a house in SE22 which is in the catchment area for Goodrich/Heber etc and then sending them to private school anyway - you are already paying for a "better" education through your increased mortgage every month.

I suppose the issue comes when they are at secondary level though - we may then all be competing for the places at the private schools, or considering moving out of London altogether. That's a long way off though.

We looked at 16 different secondary schools in SE London and Kent when our son was finishing primary school. He did not get a place at any of our state secondary choices due to the catchment areas etc, so we had the choice of either paying ??? to move into the required catchment area or spending about the same amount of money on an independent school. We ended up sending him to St Dunstan's college (in sunny Catford) and he's really happy there. It's quite relaxed, and v friendly.

We also like the school (apart from paying the fees!) and although the location isn't great it's easy to get to by 185 bus or train. There are a lot of children there now from state primaries in SE22, SE15 and SE5 who used to go to Dog Kennel Hill, Goodrich, Dul Hamlet St. John's + St Clement's etc.

Lots of the other parents we've met whose kids go to SDC are similar to us - they didn't get their state school choices and are scaping together to try and pay the fees.

Yeah, actually what a shame my child is very bright. I really should not bother to take an interest in his education at all. By wanting the best for him I am "living out my own truncated ambitions" through his life.

James can one not go to a normal comp school and still be bright? Is that not an insult to the hard working kids who actually do do well at such institutes?

Yes everyone is entitled to want the best for their child but don't give up on a place just because it has a bad reputation or fails to reach highly on any league table. some of the "rubbish" schools can produce high scoring achievers that go on to do well in further education and employment.

Oh for goodness sake, why do you two (Kel and David) get off on making me out to be a card-carrying bigoted fascist?

Does it make you feel better? Does it make you feel 'right-on' or something? Do you hope it will help you make friends on this forum or something, going on your little witch hunts?

First of all I'm told I am a racist and advocate of eugenics because I don't like chavs who own dangerous dogs.

Now I'm told I am insulting children who do well at comprehensives because I don't want to send my son to a failing school with a dreadful reputation.

I think it is my right to send him wherever I think is right for him, thanks very much!

Apparently if you live in the village catchment area for Dulwich Infants your children go there free of charge. So if you have a couple of little ones that saves you about (Ok I've no idea so let's say for the hell of it) ?20K pre-tax income a year. Over five years that almost would almost justify moving from E to N Dulwich.

Joking and sneery side swipes aside, this refusal to get involved in local community schooling facilities and manipulating the rules to get the "best " school entry for your kids may serve you well in your narrow little world, but does nothing to assist the system and goes towards creating a cultural apartheid whereby bad schools get worse and need to be constantly pumped full of cash and assistance to get them going again - this costs the tax payer and the kids themselves

support local shops for your expensive wasteful tat and overpriced deli fine foods served by arrogant scowly wankers is appaently good for the area, snubbing local skools however is perfectly acceptable...

dont choke on your fois gras.

'Sneery side swipes' - ye-es...

Despite being over 40 I don't have children or a car and I don't own any property. Nor do I suffer from sour grapes that I hide behind political posturing.