Bus 12 reduced in service

Route 12 is now running every 12 minutes daily on Monday to Sunday with overnight buses continuing every 30 mins on Mon-Fri morning and every 20 mins every Sat-Sun.

This is a significant cut to the service which at one point operated every 3-4 mins and was cut last year to every 8 minutes.

Thanks Bic

More info here : https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/bus-changes

Guess that makes a mockery of local PTAL scores plus harder to convince people to use public transport over cars as the frequency of one of our local routes has been cut and connecting at Peckham Rye for trains will also be impacted.

Our local councillors and councillors to be should br all over this ?

Bus services in our part of London are inferior to other parts of London, which I've never understood. If anything, it should be better due to no tube service. Is it because the decision makers live north of the river?

It could be that because we can now use an infinite number of buses within 59 minutes of buying our first trip, the bosses thought people can hop on and off and make their way to wherever via two or more buses. Eg. get on at The Gardens and travel to Elephant and change to 453 to get to Oxford Circus. This is not good for those who want to go a shorter distance where there are no other options, though.

People with money will just use Uber and those without will have fewer choices...the decimation of bus services is bad for the environment and terrible for the least well off....I wish campaigns for active travel would spend a little more of their time campaigning for clean, cheap, reliable and accessible public transport for those less able to walk long distances or cycle, whether due to very young children, mobility and yes......choice. Only the relatively wealthy seem to be allowed to have choice in this world.

I'm all in favour of more public transport options, buses and trains; which are both being cut back right now.

It's hard though isn't it when less people are using these services than before, and the funding isn't there.

For anyone with a smartphone, there is a really good Bus Times app which can accurately (in my experience) tell you when the next bus is due. Not great in every situation, ie on connecting routes but hopefully helps reduce some of the time stood at bus stops for some people.

As I write, the next no 12 at my nearest stop is 16 minutes - that's far from ideal.

In defence of TfL and the timings, those amber-on-black signs sometimes change from an annoyingly long time to amazingly short in the blink of an eye, probably due to the driver coming on shift, etc. Buses started to get better when they stopped accepting cash so that boarding was quicker. Oyster and contactless and the apps and countdowns have made them even better, though the "new" design was hit and miss.

I sadly gave up on the 12 a long time ago. It takes me less time to cycle to my destination than it used to take me to walk to the bus stop and wait for the bus to arrive. This is not a pro cycling post. I firmly believe in public transport and cannot see how London can continue to operate the way things are going. Really feel for parents in particular who need to pick up and drop off.

jazzer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> perhaps change the title to reduced service as the

> service has not been cut, and yes I agree with you

> it has become more infrequent than it previously

> was.

Just call it the 12R

Makes my blood boil

Mabaker Wrote:

> Bus services in our part of London are inferior to

> other parts of London, which I've never

> understood. If anything, it should be better due

> to no tube service. Is it because the decision

> makers live north of the river?

I'm really enjoying hopping on and off buses. Great thing introduced by the Mayor. Just been on the P13 for the first time. It's a shame that there is so much negativity on this forum. Perhaps there is a more jolly Facebook site on local buses that I could join😊.

On the subject of the thread it is of course a shame that bus services are reduced - maybe a good reason such as declining demand resulting fro Covid or no doubt the state of TfL finances. But I see this as no reason to return to driving.

On negativity there is of course no way you can be upbeat on, say, Thames Water and their frequent leaks. But there is always a bigger picture of government policy, in particular particular the selling off of the energy, telecoms and other utilities. And on funding active and public transport gesture politics without the funding to deliver. Lounge territory. Have a good day.

Jenijenjen Wrote:

> Oh Waseley, you haven't been paying attention.

> It's all the Labour Southwark Council's fault and

> the Labour London Mayor's fault, any other point

> of view has become heresy on the Forum.

Fabulous bit of gaslighting there jenijenjen, no one has blamed anyone but you may have noticed that I pointed out councillors and councillors to be should be all over this in terms of discussing with tfl about getting the frequency restored which will in turn support their active travel agenda.

Although as the Mayor says, "to the Mayor of London.and TfL every journey mayters" unless you can't get on because reduced frequency potentially means buses are more often full so passengers may be left at a stop.

Spartacus Wrote:

> Jenijenjen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Whoosh

>

>

> I assume that's the sound of a packed bus passing

> you at a stop 😉

Not possible because traffic has been so slowed down by the LTNs that it wouldn't be able to get up enough speed to make a whooshing sound.

The issue is that most ED bus routes go into central London and they were always down for being cut anyway with resources being put into improving outer London routes.

But there is a major issue of the Tory government drip feeding TfL money as punishment for Londoners voting for a Labour Mayor for a second term. If it wasn't for Covid, TfL would still be above water financially.

ED is unique I think in Inner London terms where it's pretty close to the centre, but has poor bus and rail transport links unless you live near to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park stations.