Would the council do this?

Not condoning this action but if the shrub was overhanging the pavement it is in breach of the Highway Act 1980 s154. To add, it should be cut back to the boundary but not completely destroyed. Have they trespassed?

Perhaps it was causing an issue for someone locally.

It?s a shock but so is getting whacked in the face or blinded by overhanging branches/foliage. I?m not condoning the action (which should have been avoided via a conversation and an understanding on your part) but if you don?t undertake to keep within the regulations (which here neatly correspond with common decency and neighbourliness) then this re/action is more likely. (I have seen council workers rather ruthlessly cut back growth so maybe it was Southwark.) The good news is that it?s spring and your plant will grow again, this time with more attention and nurturing. 🌱🌳

I'm sorry to hear this gabys1st. As it happens the pavement is wide and it really wasn't causing an obstruction. Also as it happens I have a LOT going on at the moment which means taming that shrub was quite low on my list of priorities just now. It was the disappointment that a neighbour would do this without speaking to me.

The Council wouldn't do this without first writing to you asking you to do it and telling you that if you don't cut it back by a certain date, they will do it and charge it to you. The waste also would be removed.

The fact it was done on a Saturday, with no letter and the waste left points to a neighbour!

Renata

In practice, Renata, does this happen often? Plenty of householders/tenants don't tend to their trees or bushes and nothing is done, it seems. (I think the council is too slack on people who leave their walls covered in scrawl or have overgrown trees, collapsing garden walls, etc. and think offering to help would be a good way of encouraging good neihgbourliness.)

There?s a house on the South side of Whateley Rd (where the pavement is pretty narrow) where the hedge extends out past their front boundary taking up more than half the pavement.

It?s selfish in that instance and I wonder what the house owner responsible actually thinks when they enter and exit their property, past their bulging hedge.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Council wouldn't do this without first writing

> to you asking you to do it and telling you that if

> you don't cut it back by a certain date, they will

> do it and charge it to you. The waste also would

> be removed.

>

> The fact it was done on a Saturday, with no letter

> and the waste left points to a neighbour!

> Renata

Thank you for that information Renata.