Dulwich village deli

hi... new on the forum and just had to write something about the hideously bad service i received when i stupidly left east dulwich and went over WESTSIIIIDE.. to Panino D'oro (the italian deli..run by Spanish) in dulwich village.

Heres the story....

Me and my friend sit down outside and look at the menu entitled "outside menu". We make our choices and both opt for a cafe fredo priced on the menu at ?2.20 (or affogato..as it should be called).Said on menu that we had to order inside, so we went in, they made the coffees.... and asked for ?5!

Naturally, we questioned his adding skills. We were told quite rudely and aggressively by both the guys working there that if we had only looked on the menu we would have seen that there was a not saying prices on the "outside" menu were to takeaway and there is an additional charge to "eat in". Fine. So we went outside with our coffees, sat down and studied the menu to find the sentence that we had missed. Nothing. Not a word about different prices. We were in no mood to keep hashing over 60p but it was just the principal that kept us boiling.

......and then suddenly.....the guy working there comes out of the cafe and begins verbally assaulting us... 2 girls. HE is very agressive and i am left quite shaken. He explains aggressively that if he were to write the exact price for everything to "eat in" and takeaway then he would have to write another book for the menu! not true.

The final (and quite humourous) note to the tale is that as he went inside, he removed all the menu's from the tables outside!..i doubt it was to change them!

has anyone received similar service from there? or am i bad-mouthing local heroes?

let me know!

no connection to the place in question but I would say that:

1) Service in the village generally is a surprise when it's "good" or better

2) not sure what "outside menu" means. A place with outside tables I would expect the same menu regardless (and prices) but it is fairly common for "eat-in" (ie on premises) to be VAT-inclusive (or any other charge they feel like adding to have you away)

Doesn't sound like they handled it well at all - but nor would I have been shocked at the price-difference when paying having read "outside menu".

Welcome to the forum by the way!

What a terrible way to treat people. However, I have always found Sergio (he runs the deli) to be extremely friendly and helpful. I have found though that a couple of the men who work for him need urgent customer service training. A real shame because Sergio really is a nice bloke and tries hard to please.

I too always have good, friendly service from Sergio, and the other guys are usually pretty friendly. It's a surprise to me they would be so aggressive without provocation.

Sean, the people in Romeo Jones are cheery, as are the waiters in Cafe Rouge which I've been to a couple of times recently, The women in Biff are pretty helpful, so I don't often get 'surprised' when in the shops there I get decent service. The chemist can be a bit grumpy though.

Sergio is a decent man. The younger Latin American is pleasant, but there is one who is grumpy and even angry. He's tall, a bit balding, about 40ish. Generally, it is a good place, but it seems less fun than it used to a few years ago. Nero

fair play - i hold my hands up and shall now check out Sergio "and co."

my trips to the newsagent, the organically-minded grocer (just be organic or don't you silly moo - don't be "minded"), that 'orrible restaurant next to the Dog (Piaf - each and every "under new management" incarnation) sometimes in the Dog, the clothes shops and the chemist have left me scarred

On reflection I have been in to Panino D'oro onceuponatime and thought they were pretty good...