Very Old Pic (Apparently it's an East Dulwich house)

The house is double fronted, which narrows things down, and I would guess is set back 20-25 ft from the pavement. This excludes quite a few ED streets. The hill suggestion is supported by the house next door, which looks to be set somewhat higher - the angle is problematical but it looks more like terracing or a semi (are there double fronted semis?) than a detached house.

fleur Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with Alice. The angle of the road looks

> like Underhill.

Looks like it to me too - and I live in one of those houses. They were double fronted homes in those days - were split into half houses later.

tllm2 Wrote:

> Really - I always thought the half houses were

> built that way - didn't realise that they halved

> later.

I think some in some parts of ED might have been but am sure when I looked at the deeds for mine it suggested they'd been split later. The fact that I still share a water supply with my neighbour would seem to suggest they weren't originally built seperately. Plus the internal front doors are badly placed if they were designed that way - my dad ended up taking mine off the day the removal men brought all my stuff out of storage as when open they block the entrance to the stairs.

Freddy1929 Wrote:

> indiepanda Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > PS if you watch this from 9 seconds in to 14

> you

> > can see some of those Underhill Rd houses

> >

> >

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detail

>

> > page&v=4wmmuX6iCyo

>

>

> They have their windows open! what does that mean?

> Temp.is above freezing.......not filmed recently

> then?

Lol, no, was filmed last year - late spring from recollection - was to promote Freeview's summer of sport. Definitely no reason to open windows recently.... hard pressed some days to want to open the door!

Because of the way the land was parcelled (in small lots) in Underhill (down, probably, almost as far as Barry) there is a very eclectic range of architectural styles - normally no more than 5-10 houses in a row before they change. So if it is Underhill (I think that's very likely too, and around Rydeale) it should be pretty easy to spot the house as being no more than one or two possibilities (assuming no subsequent bomb damage).

If you 'street view' on Google Maps 197 Underhill Road (now split into two) it looks almost exactly right (as do the houses up and down the street - but these have more stuff growing in the front garden which blocks the view somewhat)

Edited to say - cross posted with Vik

silverfox Wrote:

> Does the reflection in the middle window show the

> gable end of a house at 90 degrees? It looks like

> a Dutch Gable at a guess. Tintagel Rd looking up

> Lordship Lane?

No. It's clearly a Zeppelin, possibly on the way to Streatham, which would put the date a little later (1915/6?). There again, it might be not be unrelated to the stain running from the top of the picture. Sadly, colour photography having not been invented at the time, it's impossible to tell just by looking, but my money's on Bovril.