Walk/pub lunch recommendations?

Shoreham. Kent not sea.

Nice not too arduous walks, bit hilly in places.

Several pubs, one by far the best. I will try to Google it!

ETA: Oh no, I think the nice one may have closed down, sorry. It was the one which positively welcomed dogs (not that I have a dog). But unfortunately I can't remember its name. It was the last one you came to, obviously depending which end of the street you started from!

In which case, I'm sure somebody may have better ideas for places to go! We liked Shoreham because there's a station.

There are loads of decent walks in Kent and Surrey where you can get a train out. It spoils things using the car, a healthy walk good for the environment. Oh sadly I'll add to pollution and CO2 by driving. Shoreham Otford good. Epsom Downs. Tonbridge. Box Hill. Etc etc

1. South Downs: lots of walks on South Downs around Lewes, 1.5hrs on train, change at East Croydon, amazing views on a nice sunny day when on top of the Downs. Nice pub in Firle village or several in Lewes. Car is 1.5-2hrs depending on traffic. Some interesting NT places to visit incl. Virginia Woolf's house and her sister's house (Vanessa Bell).

2. Surrey Hills: train to Box Hill & Westhumble, 1hr 10m (similar in car depending on traffic, poss 1.5hrs), various beautiful walks from the train station incl taking in Denbies vineyard and Polesden Lacey, part of the National Trust, good cafe and interesting visit, garden very nice

3. Kent Downs: Toy's Hill near to Sevenoaks, nice walks, can also visit either Emmet's Garden (NT) or Chartwell, Churchill's house (NT), both have cafe, need a car to get here (or train + bike); not too far by car

Westerham is really nice, there are loads of walk options in the woods around there. Toys Hill and Ide Hill both close by, Limpsfield Chart and Chartwell itself.

Nearest station is Oxted or Hurst Green a couple of miles west - can then walk over, drop down into Westerham where there are loads of pubs and cafes.

Or it's about an hour's drive.

• 1 month later...

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i was there yesterday, the pub is being done up,

> but maybe pizza at he vineyard nearby, ant there

> is a tea room

Yes the Kings Arms at Shoreham is being renovated, we tried it today, sign says 'until further notice'. Looks like a pretty major job, lots of scaffolding etc. Agree its one of the best for food and friendliness, hope they return soon and not too changed.

another annie Wrote:

> womanofdulwich Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > i was there yesterday, the pub is being done

> up,

> > but maybe pizza at he vineyard nearby, ant

> there

> > is a tea room

>

> Yes the Kings Arms at Shoreham is being renovated,

> we tried it today, sign says 'until further

> notice'. Looks like a pretty major job, lots of

> scaffolding etc. Agree its one of the best for

> food and friendliness, hope they return soon and

> not too changed.

Thank you for that, we were thinking of returning for a walk (and a pub lunch!)

Unfortunately the other pubs in Shoreham (I think there are another two?) aren't anywhere near as nice.

Loz334 Wrote:

> They had a fire at the Kings Arms back in March. I

> heard will be closed about 5 months.

> The Mount vineyard close by is nice

Thanks for that info!

Is The Mount within walking distance of the station?