Goose Green water main

The Goose Green junction has been seeping water for well over a month now. Thames Water have finally come along to fix it and have made a huge improvement after two days of roadworks.

Hopefully they've just gone off to get some equipment - surely they can't leave it like this overnight. It's been like this for over an hour now and there's no sight of any workers.

I had thought the huge puddles after rain tehre were to do with drains but was told it was to do with this pipe problem. I am still sceptical as the rain did definitely mean there were bigger puddles than during dry periods. Anyway, it took an eamil to councillors and the env. department to get something to happen. Do they rely on the public, etc. to tell them or can they tell when there is a leak of any importance? If so, do they triage it and just leave some to Carry on Leaking?

That's why they're installing compulsory water meters - so they can rely on an income without having to do much to fix the 25% loss of water through leaks - which would entirely meet their estimate of the 'shortfall' they expect by 2100 for which they are hoping to change our usage habits by 'fining' us for use.

The area in Wood Vale, Melford and Underhill where they installed entirely new mains last year is leaking once again at the Melford/ Underhill junction - this I think for the 3rd time - and the roadway is collapsing. They complain they have too much old pipe work to replace, but clearly their replacement with new pipework isn't worth a candle. I believe it is possible for some companies to replace water mains without them failing immediately and repeatedly, but this is well beyond our monopoly supplier.

It's definitely been bubbling up through a crack in the road for several weeks. TW has a website where you can report the leak and describe the severity, from a damp patch to houses underwater. I guess they then decide whether to bother fixing it or not, depending on the number of reports and the severity of the leak.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/leak/

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's why they're installing compulsory water

> meters - so they can rely on an income without

> having to do much to fix the 25% loss of water

> through leaks

This is (still) complete bobbins.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's the annual Goose Green junction leak.

It's part of our Dulwich Heritage! 😁