Traffic last night, east dulwich grove, lordship lane , dulwich village

At around 6.30 pm last night

Dulwich village towards the cross roads at JAPS , backed up all the way to the hairdressers

East Dulwich Grove towards LL - barely moving

Lordship Lane towards Goose Green roundabout - at a standstill

Had something happened?

If anyone had required the emergency services they would have had a long delay and as for the fumes .....

Not really sure of your point. Roads get congested for a variety of reasons. If we wanted them clear for emergency vehicles then nobody else should drive. But that is impracticable. On Friday a vehicle was delivering booze to the Cherry Tree, congestion was half a miee in each direction. Perhaps their should be a campaign to close the pub.

Not really sure of your point. Roads get congested for a variety of reasons. If we wanted them clear for emergency vehicles then nobody else should drive. But that is impracticable. On Friday a vehicle was delivering booze to the Cherry Tree, congestion was half a mile in each direction. Perhaps their should be a campaign to close the pub.

Possibly the implied point was that were the LTN roads still to be open, then traffic could have naturally diverted away from the (albeit it appears short-term) blockage, thus allowing traffic to flow freely and not contribute to local pollution levels by being 'standing'. Additionally, when traffic is blocked (for whatever 'good' reason) emergency vehicles used to have alternative routes to choose from, until roads were blocked by planters etc. (now I think to be addressed, if only in part).

No, I was responding to the 'can't see your point' post. And your comment is the equivalent of suggesting that to criticise, e.g. the raising of National Insurance rates now would mean that the criticiser was against all taxation, or against funding the NHS. You can object, not that I actually was in that post, to specific traffic law changes without exclaiming there should be no traffic laws.

So London is a congested city. But if you go to most cities and towns you will find congestion at peak times. That can include the motorway network eg Manchester, M5/M6 junction, M4 south Wales. Some of this will be people driving to work or kids to school. The radial roads into Birmingham are solid two times a day. There is a bigger picture on how we address this. We could have gone LA after the war and had a network of three ways. But even then you get gridlock and the famous smogs of the 1970s.

If everytime there is congestion someone started a thread then this site would be totally dominated by this subject. There is already a thread about LTNs do we need any more?

Nothing wrong about posting warnings when there is disruption going on for a period of time as a public service. For example water mains. I've just destroyed my own argument as we are in a permanent state of disruption due to this.🙂

First of penguins sentence was my point.

I have lived here for over 20 years and only since LTNs had problems with the traffic.

And had never seen ambulance men running with their equipment to a house when it was quicker than trying to go around the LTN on Melbourne Grove. That used to just pull up outside.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No, I was responding to the 'can't see your point'

> post. And your comment is the equivalent of

> suggesting that to criticise, e.g. the raising of

> National Insurance rates now would mean that the

> criticiser was against all taxation, or against

> funding the NHS.

LOL not the best example

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/feb/23/nhs-cuts-to-cover-covid-costs-may-hit-patient-care-labour-warns

The other morning I was (unusually) driving past Honor Oak station in the rush hour - the main road was closed off and the traffic was diverted down some very tight side roads. It took me about 40 minutes to get through (and an ambulance was stuck in all this traffic squeezing down narrow side streets with lots of parks cars and vans). The whole thing could have been alleviated if the 2 side streets off the diversion, which had movable barriers blocking them off to vehicle traffic, could have been opened for the duration of the road works.

Complete lack of joined-up thinking.

(Sorry, not entirely relevant but I?ve been wanting to get that off my chest for a while!)

I've lived here for over 20 years and have regularly seen appalling traffic congestion in that time. Particularly through the village and up and down ED Grove.

I walk up and down ED Grove nearly every day and as far as I can see, since the LTNs have been put in the traffic is reduced from previous levels. Immediately after the LTNs traffic was congested but now as people decide not to drive so much it seems to be generally more clear. I think this has been evidenced by the traffic measuring the council has done.

I write as a car driver.

available in the literature they are constantly putting through the door. |doubt they make it up.

I just walked up EDG at 6pm, very little traffic and flowing smoothly. It was busier at 5pm when I walked down but that's because of schools and school buses

In the 40 years that I've lived in London, I've seen most roads become traffic-free. At the same time, I've seen it become horribly congested. Take a walk, most roads are parked cars, while some roads are barely moving. I've come to the conclusion artificially reducing the permeability isn't right. Get rid of parked cars by making it pointless to store a depreciating asset on the roads, and open all roads again so transport by road is efficient. Funnelling only congests the remaining routes we have, making journeys longer for everyone.

A few years ago black cabies would be applauded, by my friends and me, for particularly ingenious routes home. I can't see that happening now unless it is using a bus route.

Back then, when roads were shuttered, it was under the guise of safety and stopping rat runs, as all the children had drawn hopscotch in the asphalt and would be mown down. It isn't now. I find cycling any distance now much more frightening than I did in 1990, as I will always need to use the main road, and that main road is the only road.

I would be so much happier if we concentrated on reducing car ownership than reducing the available space that those vehicles have to move about. Obviously, I have ALL the answers to these problems and contradictions, but since absolutely no one listens to me I shall go to bed.