Goodrich School School Street

Nigello

Just had a letter about the closure of Dunstan's via CCTV monitoring at school opening and closing times during term, from Mt Adon Park to the Goodrich mini roundabout. Comments are invited via a link www.southwark.gov.uk/school-street-dunstans by 20 March

Just had mine too.

There are school gates in both Dunstans Road and Upland Road so the school traffic is effectively shared between the two roads. If Dunstans Road is closed at school start and finish times it will all go down Upland Road.

We just received one for St John?s and St Clement?s which would close parts of Adys, Ondine and Amott. Given how terrible traffic is in the morning with aggressive drivers smacking their horns I?m in favour. Having a camera filter is better than a hard barrier like they have for Bellenden Primary.

School streets are not new. Southwark has been doing them since 2018 and the proposal includes exemptions for residents and emergency vehicles.

It?s only for a short period and how many children are driven to school when they don?t need to be?

One consideration for some when choosing a house is local schools, for me it?s not on a street with a school and I don?t drive at school drop off time if I can avoid it.

A walk before school is not going to harm most children and planning to allow time to walk to school is good for them to understand you can?t get up late and get in the car and make it on time. Though from what I see walking might be quicker than driving. If children walk to school then walking to East Dulwich or Denmark Hill station to catch the train to work rather than jumping on the bus might be their choice in later life. Families might need to adapt their routine but it won?t be the only change made for having a child in your life. It might even be good - less time sat in traffic, time to talk, watch the seasons - trees, birds.

I?ve completed the consultation asking a similar question about permits. I?m particularly concerned about who is eligible for permits as I live a few houses up from the start of the restriction but regularly have to park in the restricted area due to a lack of spaces outside my house. The wording isn?t clear about if I?d be eligible or not. Also the only electric car charger in the surrounding streets is in the restriction.