Garden Waste Collection 2022-23

Penguin68

I received yesterday an e-mail reminder from Southwark to renew my garden waste collection subscription (still at ?40 as last year) - which runs from April 1st 2022 to March 31st 2023.

The system for doing so on line works quite well - (it does ask you to confirm your email, having emailed you (!)) which does seem a little silly - but I think it actually simply logs you in to your account that way.

If you are expecting a reminder (and haven't got one) you might check in your SPAM folder.

If you don't pay for things on-line I'm guessing doing so will be slightly more awkward than it is via on-line and credit card.

• 2 weeks later...
Quite a quick turnaround. Paid on 26th Feb and got my sticker in post today. ?40 is pretty good in comparison to what some councils charge around the country. My mother pays ?65 a year for a fortnightly collection in Brighton & Hove, for example.

Agreed. My mother lived in an outer London borough and she was paying ?75 a year for garden waste collection, and that was a few years ago.

I got my new sticker yesterday.

IlonaM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quite a quick turnaround. Paid on 26th Feb and got

> my sticker in post today. ?40 is pretty good in

> comparison to what some councils charge around the

> country. My mother pays ?65 a year for a

> fortnightly collection in Brighton & Hove, for

> example.

Spartacus Wrote:

> I love the fact that 2 years ago everyone was

> whineing about the introduction of changes to what

> was a free service

>

> Now people are saying how good value it is

> compared to other boroughs.

>

> Short memories?

We gave up our brown bin when they started charging. We have fake grass & sweep the leaves in our front garden back onto the pavement.

Only good value if you have a large amount of garden waste & can afford it. I gave up my brown bin when they started charging & put what little garden waste in my green bin - it did say you could do that on the website last time I checked if you only have a small amount.

Callie, it's got nothing to do with if somebody has a large amount of garden waste and can afford it! The brown bin also includes food waste which goes into the smaller caddy bin which Southwark provides. I really hope you are not putting food waste materials into your green bin.

I love the fact that 2 years ago everyone was whineing about the introduction of changes to what was a free service

They (and me) were also concerned that the council would take the opportunity to ramp up the prices quickly (as these charges fall outside those generally scrutinised) - in fact the initial charge of ?25 - which didn't cover a full year - and was raised to a comparable ?40 last year - has been held this year. And most do recognise that councils are under particular cost and revenue pressures currently.

In my road the contents of the small brown bin are thrown by the men into the large brown bin. I asked about this and they told me that there are not yet the means to deal with the kitchen waste separately, is this incorrect?

Veolia does not have access to an anaerobic digester in London. That is used to handle kitchen waste and garden waste is composted. Until they get a digester (they are expensive) all organic waste is ground up and composted. Digesters are mainly used in the countryside to deal with slurry and fresh farm cuttings to produce heat for power generation.

I never whined about the introduction of this charge, especially as I knew then that the cost was considerably less that other councils charge.

Spartacus Wrote:

> I love the fact that 2 years ago everyone was

> whineing about the introduction of changes to what

> was a free service

>

> Now people are saying how good value it is

> compared to other boroughs.

>

> Short memories?