swimming at Dulwich Leisure Centre

oimissus

THe only tip I have is to email the people at Everyone Active and ask when, not if, this pandemic-applied booking system will be revoked, now that emergency measures elsewhere have largely been lifted.

People book - if they are lucky - and then at least some of them CBA to turn up - hardly fair to others who have paid to be able to access the pool.

CC the manager at the centre you usually use. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks all - I'll check out Camberwell as I can get there just as easily as Dulwich.

Such a shame that people are being forced to abandon swimming. When I last spoke to someone at EA (in a centre, not head office) I was just told it would carry on like this until [insert vague and unspecified time in the future].

Yes, I'll definitely contact Head Office. Does anyone know who at the council is in charge of leisure centres?

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, easy to go to Camberwell perhaps but unless

> you complain they won't be aware of your

> dissatisfaction. The more who write in the better.

> Please do it. Thanks. (Speaking to a receptionist

> at a centre really won't do anything.)

It's depressing actually. Swimming is great. Life saving skills, good for young, old, less mobile and those with asthma and yet only one of the local pools is open to the public. About time those private schools with charitable status gave back to local residents, who have to put up with a lot of disruption to enable their existence.

JAGS SC

> Price - JAGS SC is ?51/month according to their site and there are discounts for single parent families, NHS staff and teachers and others. I pay ?39/mth for EA - which is full adult rate, no concession. I used to be at JAGS SC but switched to EA because I now work in Victoria and want to use The Queen Mum (which is EA). When I was entirely ED based, JAGS SC was far better value for me than EA based on access availability and the quality of facilities (well, the pool, which was all I ever used). Even before the pandemic, there wasn't that much lane space at Dulwich - it's a small pool.

> Times - JAGS SC is only closed during school hours. It's generally open from 6:30am until school starts and from about 4:30/5pm onwards. The gym opens slightly later than the pool, e.g. 5:30. The club is open all day at the weekends and during school holidays. When the pool is closed at weekends it's because they are running galas for local swimming clubs. Dulwich Dolphins and Leander SC train there a lot and run galas there and I've supported very many galas there for other clubs too. Various triathlon clubs also train in that pool. Clearly, it's no good to you if you want to swim during school hours, but otherwise I think most would find the times convenient.

The site is here https://jagssportsclub.co.uk

DULWICH COLLEGE

Also runs a sports club open to the public. Adult membership is ?42 and like JAGS SC there are concessions available. They, and Dulwich Prep, also support a lot of clubs including many of the above and several others with lane space.

As far as I know, opening hours are similar to JAGS SC.

The site is here https://www.dcsportsclub.co.uk so you could have a look if interested.

ALLEYN's

Does not, and cannot run a sports club like JAGS and DC. It's just not set-up for it. Outside of school hours the pool is extensively used by various clubs such as Tigersharks, Brockwell Swimmers, St James's and Dulwich Dolphins, who all use the pool for training and galas. However, there is no further capacity at that pool outside of what is already being used by external groups.

DULWICH LEISURE CENTRE

The slots go as soon as they open up, but if you have a look a couple of hours before you want to go, you'll usually find they've opened up again as people do cancel. E.g. looking right now there's space for the 5pm lane swim, which was full previously. If you book and you don't cancel you do get an email reprimand - or in my case, if you turn up without your card and they let you in manually, you still get a no show reprimand even though they checked your name off to let you in! I believe they have been dealing with repeat offenders. When I use Dulwich it's always the case that of the 30 spaces offered there's not more than 15-20 swimmers in the water, so you could also try just showing up. I've not tried this at Dulwich, but I have done it at The Queen Mum and they've been fine to let me in although I had to wait 10 mins.

OTHER EA

It is a bit easier to get slots at Camberwell, Peckham (much easier) and The Castle Centre (Elephant & Castle). All a short cycle / bus ride away.

CLUBS

As stated above, very many clubs use the pools at JAGS, DC and Alleyn's. If you do want to swim regularly you could try joining one. Tigersharks (all levels catered for, both adults and families) or St James' (parents and kids) Brockwell swimmers (adults - all strokes, bit of everything, all levels but not complete beginners, I think) or Streamline Swims (adults, more focussed on triathlon and swim fitness, I think). All worth checking out.

http://www.tigersharksswimmingclub.co.uk

https://sjsc.org.uk

https://www.brockwellswimmers.com

http://www.streamlineswims.com

I hope this is useful information.

I had an issue some years ago at ED pool. I couldn't find anywhere above the managers to make a complaint. It's incredibly difficult. In the end, my complaint about the manager, went to the manager. No response, obviously.

Whoeveritis Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know who is the top person to contact

> at everyone active ? I don?t mean the manager at

> the centres as they are all cut from the same

> cloth. Head office just passes it on to the centre

> manager. Who is above Head office ? Does anyone

> know ?

I go several times a week at lunchtime and book on the app - you have to do it about a week in advance but once you've got the hang of it it's not a problem. If you can't make it, you cancel and the slot frees up for someone else so there are often spaces on the day. People do cancel, rather than not showing up as you get told off otherwise!