Franklins - The Best Breakfast in Britain?

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All that spam... did you have to drink engine oil

> to keep yourselves "regular"?

No I sort of lived in a cross between an engine room and a caravan - with hydraulic fluid and diesel oil everywhere. See pictures at HMS ONYX

On the small subject of breakfast sandwich adornments.

Why did Bicks the relish people, stop the cucumber variety?

When a chap was in need of a condiment for his bacon sandwich and just didn't fancy the correct lashing of HP sauce, wasn't prepared to go with second place coating of tomato ketchup and English mustard and was in the mood for a little walk on the sweet and and vinegary side, it was perfect. In fact there was nothing else.

It made compact hangover breakfasts, some of the best of my life.

It made more sense of cucumbers than there's ever needed to be. Or indeed ever will be.

Anyone know why they cut it off?

Anyone know if there's a way we can all get well again?

CamberwellOz, I appreciate the thought and who knows, maybe I will make that recipe.

Oh, who am I kidding, I know I never will. The problem with the homemade versions of indusrially produced products is that they always taste different every time you make them. What I want is exactly the same thing every time I open the jar. If I want fancy-pants home-made condiments I'll go to The Ivy for breakfast. Or if they're too snotty to open up for me I'll take my custom to The Wolsey.

I think of it in the same vein as Eddie Murphy talking about his mother making him a home-made burger as opposed to what he really wanted - a McDonalds. There he was, crying because the other kids were teasing him for his "big old welfare burger".

Is that what you want, CO others teasing me for my home-made cucumber relish, and implying things about my mother?

Because if you are....

I'm sorry,got a bit het up there.

But you know thanks and all that sort of rot, and maybe I'll see you in the Hermit's Cave sometime soon.

• 3 years later...

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Whenever I go to Franklins which isn't often they

> never seem to be really up to catering for

> veggies. Do they do a veggie Breakfast?

xxxxxxx

Yes. Poached egg, tomatoes, bubble and squeak.

But since several times the bubble arrived as just a not-particularly-tasty mound of mashed potato with a bit of cabbage in it, and didn't seem to have ever touched a frying pan or even an oven, I haven't had it since.

And yes I complained each time, and in the end wrote to them (never received a reply).

They also do a great Welsh Rarebit/Rabbit, also a veggie option, and very good value. Used to be a fiver, I think it's a bit more now.

But the size of the portion seems to vary greatly from visit to visit .....

ETA: They also do excellent Scotch Woodcock. You could always remove the anchovies from the top or ask for it without them. The eggs are properly scrambled ie still runny :)

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I read alomost the whole of this thread before

> realising it was 3 years old. :(

>

> Now I have no idea if they still do a good

> breakfast.

yes they do - I went this weekend for first time in 6 months and it's still top bloody notch. best coffee on the lane as well as far as I'm concerned. and the staff a great too I should add. long may it last

This is the 2nd tome in the last 12 months Franklins has had a'best for...' mention in the grauniad - is there a vested interest?

It is pretty good, but the best in England? I normally only venture out for breakfast at the weekend if I can't be bothered making (the best in Britain) it myself.

Which usually coincides with a hangover in which case MY criteria is not necessarily the best healthy, or fresh, or finest cut; may I put forward the Millwall Cafe for a no nonsense, does what it says on the tin, greasy spoon best in Britain fry up,...

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure which things Franklins has been in the Guardian for but this originally was from three years ago and they had a different head chef then!!!

I don't go there often as not a big fan of offal and that always appears on the menu alot but they did always do very good food, even if not to my taste.

not sure what its like now Mr Greene has moved on

Will await a review from other locals x

I haven't tried the breakfasts at Franklins but for me would be hard to beat Joanna's in Crystal Palace for a top brekkie. The service is always good and when in there I foget about the hustle and bustle of outside and feel as if I have gone back in time. The full english is my fave with eggs benedict coming in at a close second :)