Melbourne Grove Market Trial Online Survey

andrewc

LA: Not what you said in your previous post, you quoted the section from the Southwark Plan which you interpreted as ?could be something like bars? which is not what the Southwark Plan points to.

I have made absolutely no comment whether an evening market would be a good thing or a bad thing.

We?ll have to agree to differ as I don?t interpret the balancing act that needs to be done as a restriction in expansion of night time economy stuff like bars. Things would need to be looked at in the round, and encouraging some night time economy uses at the potentially pedestrianised end of a street where there are vacant commercial premises, near a station, doesn?t seem to me like a crazy idea with sensible limits on noise and opening hours.

You cant' really second guess Tooley St, unfortunately La. E.g. they recently allowed House of Tippler to close so that it could be replaced with an extraordinarily large block of flats and a shop selling trinkets.

That was the last decent bar with live music on Lordship Lane and it is gone forever.

The only culture allowed in ED is culture that fits in with a certain view these days in less edgy ED. The thought of Warmduscher performing at a live venue in that unit in a late opening bar and music venue sounds amazing to me...but I'm not sure jenjenjen and goldilocks would like it...:) aaah revealing my old punk roots...

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> CPR Dave Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > That was the last decent bar with live music on

> > Lordship Lane and it is gone forever.

>

> The street is lined with other, crappy bars. Tell

> them to be less crap.

Be brave Billy, walk into each bar, ask for the owner or manager and tell them yourself

I'm sure you'll get a good hiding response

Jen - I'm actually a bit confused by the way you are interpreting my posts.

Does it help to explain/ clarify that the Southwark Plan is not a list of things that Southwark plans to do, it's more focused on outlining the approach that Southwark takes in considering applications by third parties to do things?

So no, Southwark doesn't have a positive "lets put in some bars" plan (as I actually said further up), but when considering any proposal by anyone to start a bar they'll be doing the balancing exercise mentioned. The plan talks about maintaining a balance - but that doesn't have to be exactly the same balance as there is now. And what I'm suggesting is that against the background of the Labour mayoral policy to encourage more nighttime economy activity, particularly in unused premises, in my opinion the local council might well look favourably on applications of that type, subject to appropriate safeguards to protect the interests of local residents.

I know you'll disagree.

On the demand for a night-time market, what about the idea of something that operated on days that DHFC had home games, after the games? Something that occurred to me walking along that strip this afternoon.

Seems to me that if the road is closed, there's an opportunity to take advantage of some outdoor, pedestrianised space, away from traffic (unlike places on LL), and that could make that area quite popular? Just trying to think of ideas.

Jenijenjen Wrote:

> That?s fair enough, it is after all your opinion

> but it?s not backed up by the Southwark Plan as

> you implied.

I don?t know why you?re trying to convince me about a night time market, all I?ve said is it's not going to happen which isn?t the same as being against it. Also a bit strange you?re referring to a ?demand? for a night time market when as far as I know it?s just been suggested by one person!

To clarify- the night time market comment wasn?t specifically directed at you, it was a train of thought I was following, apologies if you are confused.

?Demand? I meant in the ?supply and demand? sense rather than a ?people are demanding it? sense, as you had indicated that you didn?t think people would be interested in a Friday night thing due to reduced commuters etc. There is always a slight element of ?build it and they will come? around this sort of thing. When I lived in Melbourne there was a street market near the tram stop on my way home and it was very popular with takeaway noodles, vegan stall etc so not beyond the realms of possibility.

It feels a bit like you are trying to close down discussion to be honest, I hope that?s not the intention as I think it?s helpful for everyone to knock around ideas for the use of the space. I?m trying to be as clear as I can but I feel like every word is being jumped on - and I have English as a first language! Must try harder.

On a lighter note I?d prioritise jazz over punk or the Stones.

Spartacus Wrote:

> Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> -----

> > CPR Dave Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > That was the last decent bar with live music

> on

> > > Lordship Lane and it is gone forever.

> >

> > The street is lined with other, crappy bars.

> Tell

> > them to be less crap.

>

>

> Be brave Billy, walk into each bar, ask for the

> owner or manager and tell them yourself

> I'm sure you'll get a good hiding response

Okay, internet tough guy. 🙄

There are more than enough bars on Lordship Lane. Instead of moaning at the council when the owner of your favourite one sells the building - vote with your feet to reject the crap ones and support the good ones.

Hey Billy

You started suggesting people tell bars to be less crap so I was just asking you to take up your own challenge. But if you want to try and turn that on me then it just shows how you are playing at being the quote "Internet tough guy" unquote

As for which bars I personally think are good, they are already patronised by me. I'm too long in the tooth to waste time in places I don't think are good.

Although I will admit to missing some of the more quirky bars that we've seen along the lane over the years but that's market economics for you.

However those is distracting from the proposed market which I still think is poor idea as it divides shoppers over two areas rather then providing a bigger offering in one location make it more of an incentive for people to travel to the area for an enhanced shopping experience.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> Spartacus Wrote:

> -----

> >

> > As for which bars I personally think are good,

> > they are already patronised by me.

> I don't doubt it for a second

Dear Billy , you are now showing your true colours by trying to troll other posters rather than providing a good solid contribution to the discussion.

Keep to the topic and stop tackling the player

Enhanced as in more businesses located in one centre offering more products that will attract people to it.

Shoppers are more likely to spend more money locally if when shopping for something specific like "cookies" they spot something they like but weren't expecting to see in the same location so it's good for shoppers who don't need to go to two places and good for local businesses.

Market economics ... you are more likely to go to a bigger more varied market then a small or one stall market🤔

Spartacus Wrote:

> Dear Billy , you are now showing your true colours

> by trying to troll other posters

Spartacus Wrote:

> Be brave Billy, walk into each bar, ask for the

> owner or manager and tell them yourself

> I'm sure you'll get a good hiding response

Okay, mate 👌