Filming outside bora ,& sons

sweetgirl

ontheRye Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And in Yama Momo late afternoon as I went past,

> filming had finished in Bora and one of the film

> crew helping to put stuff back said it was for a

> Google advert

I didn?t take kindy to the ?Oi we?re closed? shout yesterday as I went to buy some apples. Organic Market from now on, shame I liked that place.

They're expensive and I've only tried a few things, but the grapes are lovely and not what you can get in most shops at the moment, I think. But it's a very guilty treat, for price and air miles.

Which market are you talking about Angelina? Is it just for retailers?

Angelina Wrote:

> They just buy their fruit and veg at the market in

> Clapham and sell on at higher prices. Just looks

> pretty but same as everywhere else

Sorry, it's called New Covent Garden Market. It's in Vauxhall.

https://www.newcoventgardenmarket.com/visit

It's not just for traders but it's a lot cheaper as you have to buy boxes - you can just buy one box - we often go.

Most of the shops buy there and sell it on - it's very profitable.

Don't be put off when it says just traders.

They obviously prefer to shift in van loads but are happy to sell to the public too.

Wow kid

They could go more "good life" and turn thier immaculate lawns into pig pens, chicken runs and goat safe areas, grow their own veg and raise rabbits to eat thus cutting out the greedy middlemen 😉

But let's be honest, its hard graft saving a few pennies and it's not a pheasant experience and liable to get your goat. Don't have a cow man as most people would chicken out and just rabbit on about the idea... 😄

I don't agree at all with the 'looks pretty but same as everywhere else' comment regarding Bora & Sons. It's the best greengrocer I've come across in terms of range. I've been really enjoying being able to buy things like tomatillos, lots of different tomatoes, mangosteens etc as occasional treats, mixed in with cheaper fruit & veg from Local Greens.

I buy an organic veg box every week, but I also appreciate that these guys source amazing produce and work really hard to make it all look beautiful. I have lived on a small-holding and it's bloody hard work to pick or dig up that stuff.....and as far as meat ... killing a pig is no easy feat.

That's all.

KidKruger Wrote:

> All these fools going to William Rose when they

> could simply buy a field, get cows, slaughter them

> and tuck-in to a hearty beef roast. Why waste

> money ?

cow's we use for milk you need to get a bull for you beef ( sorry KidKruger ) and for god's sake don't try and milk the bull.

Angelina Wrote:

> Sorry, it's called New Covent Garden Market. It's

> in Vauxhall.

>

> https://www.newcoventgardenmarket.com/visit

>

> It's not just for traders but it's a lot cheaper

> as you have to buy boxes - you can just buy one

> box - we often go.

> Most of the shops buy there and sell it on - it's

> very profitable.

>

> Don't be put off when it says just traders.

>

> They obviously prefer to shift in van loads but

> are happy to sell to the public too.

Why on earth would you take the time and travel costs to go to Vauxhall to buy your fruit and veg wholesale?

Where do you think greengrocers (and most other shops) get their stock from if not from a wholesale source?

And why shouldn't shops make a profit? They aren't charities, plus they are providing a service which people want.

I don't shop in Bora because I get an Oddbox plus I have an allotment, but I like to know it's there, and their displays are fantastic!

Where do you think greengrocers (and most other shops) get their stock from if not from a wholesale source?

Yes, retailers make money by 'breaking bulk' that is by breaking up a big lot into lots of small lots - so that an individual can buy 5 oranges (or just one) from them and not 200 at a time. Breaking bulk is a cost (the effort of breaking bulk and the risk of not selling it all, particularly for perishable goods) - retailers are compensated for that additional cost and risk by selling at a higher per unit price than they have bought wholesale. With some form of additional mark-up over their strict wholesale to retail costs (which would include transport, of course, and storage).

Angelina Wrote:

> Farm shops also deliver direct and cut out the

> middle man.

> I doubt we are the only family who prefer to spend

> our money on other things than hiked prices.

You obviously have the luxury of time on your hands to make it to the wholesale markets, I assume you also do things like make jam and chutneys so you have a use for a crate load of fruit or veg.

My husband and I work full time and dont have enough hours in the day twixt leaving for work and getting home to go truffling round New Covent Garden,Smithfield and the like to save a few quid.

If you really want to save money Angelina buy your fruit and veg from Lidl or Aldi or is it not 'organic' and 'locally farmed' enough for your liking?

Before you diss a local independent business who have stopped a retail premises turning into another Nail bar or estate agent just THINK.

For you I assume your going direct to wholesalers for produce is not for reasons of personal financial constraints but in order to be smug and feel you are a 'savvy shopper'

And breath...........................

As a heads up for anyone who cuts through from Forest Hill Road to Honor Oak Road, there will be filming taking place on the Horniman Heights, Feb 22nd, so traffic lights on Canonbie, Netherby, Westwood Park and probably at junctionn with Honor Oak Road.