Melborne Grove being decimated

macutd

Chemist move is zero to do with the street changes and everything to do with them moving to the health centre - they were previously linked to the dr surgery on Melbourne Grove - both have moved into Tessa Jowell.

Callows is now on the main road but seems to have quickly sold the lease. The barbers closed and was immediately re let to Art K.

The other hairdresser seemed to have some falling out with the landlord and couldn't agree a commercial rent that worked for them - assume the landlord has someone else lined up now as its under offer.

If these units were remaining empty you'd have a point, but with the exception of the chemist they're not - also not sure whats happeningi re the chemist as there are plans to build on the old health centre.

Judging by your posts goldilocks you live in one of the shut down roads and don't care about what effects it has on the rest of us so long as you are ok!

goldilocks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Chemist move is zero to do with the street changes

> and everything to do with them moving to the

> health centre - they were previously linked to the

> dr surgery on Melbourne Grove - both have moved

> into Tessa Jowell.

>

> Callows is now on the main road but seems to have

> quickly sold the lease. The barbers closed and

> was immediately re let to Art K.

>

> The other hairdresser seemed to have some falling

> out with the landlord and couldn't agree a

> commercial rent that worked for them - assume the

> landlord has someone else lined up now as its

> under offer.

>

> If these units were remaining empty you'd have a

> point, but with the exception of the chemist

> they're not - also not sure whats happeningi re

> the chemist as there are plans to build on the old

> health centre.

Its not a 'lets see' - factually they have been sold or re-let with the exception of the Chemist I think - though i've no idea if that is even up for reletting re the development plans. Its a shame though as its a big unit and being boarded up does the street no favours and makes it look shabby.

No One said it was a 'retail boom' - just that the units weren't sitting empty, which indicates that the landlords putting up rent were infact right in terms of what businesses are willing to pay.

Someone did obviously start this thread to say that the street was being decimated by the filters - obviously this is just totally untrue given the rapid relets.

I think it would be interesting to answer though...there are many closed roads, so it will not identify.. I suspect it is a yes 'I do live in an LTN' and yes 'I have a large house, a car and a garden' and yes 'I drive on ED Grove', but of course it's a forum and we are all allowed some privacy..although someone recently did tell me where I was located on ED Grove...but got it wrong...so swings and roundabouts..

From chatting to some Melbourne Grove retail owners, I have been told that the local Councillors are ambivalent and the residents want them all to go and have one 'nice' coffee shop and no businesses that attract school-kids. Charming!

If 'someone said' it, then it most definitely must be true...

heartblock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it would be interesting to answer

> though...there are many closed roads, so it will

> not identify.. I suspect it is a yes 'I do live in

> an LTN' and yes 'I have a large house, a car and a

> garden' and yes 'I drive on ED Grove', but of

> course it's a forum and we are all allowed some

> privacy..although someone recently did tell me

> where I was located on ED Grove...but got it

> wrong...so swings and roundabouts..

> From chatting to some Melbourne Grove retail

> owners, I have been told that the local

> Councillors are ambivalent and the residents want

> them all to go and have one 'nice' coffee shop and

> no businesses that attract school-kids. Charming!

Well, given Southwark?s planning policy is not to have hot food takeaways within 400m of a school, they see it as a health policy issue but don?t, as far as I can tell, have powers to close down existing takeaway businesses, you can see why they might not leap to the defence of any hot food takeaway businesses in Melbourne Grove.

@Heartblock - just pasting what you actually said here:

From chatting to some Melbourne Grove retail owners, I have been told that the local Councillors are ambivalent and the residents want them all to go and have one 'nice' coffee shop and no businesses that attract school-kids. Charming!

It was the 'I have been told' element that made me deduce that you were telling a story where someone said something!

The primary function of quotation marks is to represent exact language (either spoken or written) that has come from somebody else, but I like the way you wrote 'then it most definitely must be true...' , which I deduce is a rather unsubtle way of intimating that I am lying. I think that says quite a lot and again embeds my view.