Southwark noise and nuisance service

From experience this service isn?t fit for purpose.

They have insufficient capacity at peak times and the process worsens the arrangements for the victims of noise.

For example when a hugely noisy party was going on they insisted that they would need to come into our bedroom to test the noise levels (when there was no world where they wouldn?t be a problem indoors even without that!) and also claimed that they couldn?t go into the property creating the problem as it might be a covid risk for them (but fine to come into my house).

The ?service? needs a rethink

There will be a process they need to go through. My experiences of local authorities elsewhere in the country has been similar.

You could argue that the police should be calling, in noisy parties. Something fairly common when I was younger. In fact a badge of honour if your party had the police knock on you door to tell you to turn down the volume.

Expect that the police are no longer resourced to tackle such anti social behaviour

A good article from the charity campaigning against noise pollution - Noisy neighbours and air-traffic came top in London.

The recommendations for 'neighbourly' noise are.

? Police should be given equal statutory powers to local authorities for dealing with noise complaints

and should set up a non-emergency hotline for noise complaints.

? Noise at night regulations should be brought into effect from 10pm instead of 11pm.

They also say "The utterly frustrating thing is there are viable solutions to most noise problems but they are not being taken up"

Just take quantity of complaints and investigate/deal with the ones with the biggest complaint numbers.

Then it comes down to quality control of complaints but that's better than what they are doing now.

All it takes in a pub for instance is notices on the doors saying "respect our neighbours" - and customers then need to be reminded that as pubs are soundproofed to a degree you can shout inside but not outside at 2am. All the good pubs realise this and it does work - I see it.

Yes, pre pandemic they wanted to come into my bedroom at 2am! (lone woman)

northernmonkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> From experience this service isn?t fit for

> purpose.

>

> They have insufficient capacity at peak times and

> the process worsens the arrangements for the

> victims of noise.

>

> For example when a hugely noisy party was going on

> they insisted that they would need to come into

> our bedroom to test the noise levels (when there

> was no world where they wouldn?t be a problem

> indoors even without that!) and also claimed that

> they couldn?t go into the property creating the

> problem as it might be a covid risk for them (but

> fine to come into my house).

>

> The ?service? needs a rethink

I made a noise complaint a week ago about the refurbishment work going on next door to me the noise was unbearable it was neumatic drills for 4 or 5 days solid ... when I spoke to lady on phone she heard it and could not believe the amount of noise it was making the gguy from noise control called malcolm was not interested at all he said they can start at 8 and finish at 6 I said that's not fair on others living around the noise as they are doing it 6 days a week and even over the xmas bank holidays which is illegal so I went and put a stop to that. The works started mid November and will end mid March its driving us crazy

Southwark council?s own staff are the worst noise nuisance

Especially in East Dulwich libraries; endlessly (loudly) chitchatting away about the movies, sci fi, Netflix, customers they don?t like, marvel super heroes blah di blah. Oh yeah and the no1 favourite? the ?Tea Break?.

Libraries are supposed to be quiet places so users can work, do research & read in peace. Or like me, get some daytime zzzs in.

Don?t get me started on Southwark Council binmen