Tessa Jowell GP Practice has really improved (update: or has it?)

trinidad

Please please please make sure you are reporting this to anyone and everyone.

I know it seems a frustrating and pointless exercise as "nothing will be done" but really the more incidents like these that are on record somewhere the stronger case there is when notice is finally being taken.

Just to remind people that the Tessa Jowell centre offers/ houses a multiple of different services/ service providers. Most complaints appear to be addressed here to the GP Surgery based at Tessa Jowell - which does seem to have acted deplorably, based on reports, at times.

But do not confuse these legitimate complaints with the other services/ service providers offered on the site. The phlebotomist service, for instance, I have found excellent.

This centre is awful in my experience,

I have tried numerous times to get an appointment in the past month plus….. my son was taken to a&e due to breathing difficulties.

We were advised to get him to a gp asap to get him checked out.

I called at least twice to get an appointment, each time the young lady banging on about “ the way we book our appointments is you have to download an app……. etc”

I told them I didn’t have the facilities to download any app.

She told me everyone has access to the internet, to the point where she even directed me to the local library!

I asked her how I would book an appointment from the library & where I should download the app, if on the library computer…..

Anyway long story short, all these weeks later, my child has still not been seen!

I’m sure you can understand I’m well peeeeeeed off!

My son may well have asthma but yet downloading the app is th3 only thing they bang on about!

Please report your concerns to CQC, nhs England & other authorities as this is unacceptable rubbish they keep spewing out!

The surgery has not yet been rated yet & I’m sure if people report their concerns the rating will show exactly what type of service they provide!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but have you considered changing GPs?

If you are in their catchment area, The Gardens books appointments by phone, and if urgent will give you a same day appointment.

It is really easy to change GPs, and you don't have to tell the old one you are leaving.

I agree with the poster who asks that people don’t mean the whole centre when they really mean one of the service providers, such as the GP facility or whatever.

The blood drawers are excellent and the pharmacy is good. It’s bright and clean and airy. Parking spaces are available, as are e-chargers. The vaccine service during the first couple of years of COVID has been great, if a little over-staffed with sometimes not altogether competent volunteers.

Flicking through some recent Council documents (the Health and Social Care Scrutiny Commission look like they are going to gather evidence about availability of medical appointments) and came across a council- funded organisation I hadn’t heard of before called Healthwatch Southwark

https://www.healthwatchsouthwark.org

It’s a kind of local health watchdog tasked with providing advice about accessing services and also on how to complain about services- and has some power to visit publicly funded places to see what is going on.

If there are particular concerns about any local NHS practices it might be worth contacting Healthwatch and getting them on the case? There’s a contact form on the website and you can request a call back.

I've still to do a fuller write-up, but want to get this important point made.

You do not need a phone app to make an appointment.

I'm not surprised if anyone's been led to this conclusion. I was myself for a while. But any device with a web browser should do.

I think the simplest route is to go to https://my.askmygp.uk/?c=G85132#/intro. It's the link provided at https://www.tessajowellgpsurgery.co.uk/services/online-services/.

There you will first need to register on the system. As I went a roundabout route I'm not sure how much information will be required of you to confirm your identity as their patient. But I can confirm that the three data items given to me by Melbourne Grove Medical Practice in a letter in 2018, for entry to their previous patient access system, were still acceptable proof to their system now that they are Tessa Jowell GP Surgery.

When accessing the AskMyGP system via browser I found that the time window on it for requesting an appointment seems to be the same as that for telephoners, ie a short time from 8 am. Can anyone who is using the phone app confirm that that's the case for them too?

• 6 months later...

I saw on the Tessa Jowell surgery website that their clinical lead, Jonathan Love, left to go to live in Hampshire..   This was posted at the beginning of June.  Anyone know who has taken over?   Safe to say that I was not one of his fans.  

Edited by Froglander