Vigil Holly Grove Friday 21st 6-8 for rape victim - please circulate

Tosca

Late last Thursday evening a woman was walking away from Peckham Rye Railway Station through Elm Grove when she was attacked and raped by 2 men who wore dark clothes and covered their faces. The Met Police are taking this crime very seriously. There will be a vigil in Holly Grove this Friday from 6-8. Please bring a candle in a jar.

https://news.met.police.uk/news/appeal-for-information-following-report-of-a-rape-at-peckham-rye-440736

Dear Tosca

Thank you for making the effort to share this news about the vigil on Friday, I was searching for news about this awful incident and NOTHING came up about the vigil so well done.

I will now share your this update via Nextdoor.

I do hope the girl is getting plenty of support from family and friends. Please also pray for her and that the two guys will be identified and put away for a very long time.

Thanks, Thunderblue600. I seems really important that people come out to the vigil whether Peckham or Dulwich or wherever in South London because we absolutely need to keep the streets safe for women. These guys (and there are no women out at night attacking women or men)need to know that they can no longer get away with years of making the streets frightening and unsafe for women. There's a poster doing the rounds, and I've attached it here. It's organised by people on the nearby streets. Just opposite the Liberal Club on Holly Grove at the gates to the park. Bring candles.

Dear Tosca

It was the very least I could do.

If you do recognise me on Friday please say hi, have attached a pic, normally quite easy to spot.

Anyway had an interesting response via the event I set up on nextdoor:

Rosie S-R ? Peckham Rye

I want to support the woman and to show solidarity as a community but I?m not sure a vigil is the right way to go..a vigil is for someone who has died. Standing around with candles is in mourning, this young girl is alive and we will be here to show support, but a vigil seems almost inappropriate. A protest maybe, or setting up a collection.

Coral R. ? Peckham Rye

Rosie I tend to agree with you. Apparently the council haven't even put lighting around the park which has been a known spot for all kinds of offences for as long as I remember. If not now, then when?

Michael Peacock ? Nunhead

Dear Rosie and Coral over the years I have attended vigils and yes always for someone that has had their life taken in a cruel hateful way. This will be the first vigil I have attended for a living person and feel it is a great idea. Cant begin to imagine the trauma this 18yo girl is experiencing right now and hope this event will offer some comfort to the victim and her family.

I reported and would encourage people to report concerns on the police website:

www.streetsafetool.com

It takes 30 seconds.

StreetSafe is a pilot service for anyone to anonymously tell us about public places where you have felt or feel unsafe, because of environmental issues, eg street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of some behaviours, eg being followed or verbally abused