Has the council mucked up with its Xmas tree collection?

Nigello

I see scores of abandoned trees, blocking pavements and parking spaces, and no evidence of collection, either by the standard refuse vans or the ones that used to patrol the streets looking for the trees. I have complained online about ones near to me but they are everywhere. If you have a collection of trees on your pavement or in your road, please do complain under fly tipping on the website. If they get a lot they may finally understand what is (not) going on!

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/fly-tipping

The trees on our street were collected on Monday I think, they left mine, presumably because it?s on the large size (not a monster but I guess it might be six foot one or something). I?ve paid someone to come and take it away. There are an awful lot about the place, I agree.

The trees were all being collected along Underhill this morning, by the normal kitchen/ garden waste crew - but they do, I believe, have to go back to the depot more frequently as their truck fills up far more quickly where the trees are left out whole. The 'rules' say that they collect whole trees under 6ft, but over 6ft the householder should cut them to leave pieces less than 6ft. They do advise those with garden waste contracts to cut their trees to fit into the brown bins, but (apart from me) I don't see many do that. Wooden ring 'stands' should also be removed. Last week the crew was a day late in collecting in Underhill, but this week they've been very prompt. Locally I can't see there's a problem.

There are piles of four or five in two places along Goodrich, taking up parking spaces. Tons more in Dulwich Village and peppered about SE21. Not impressed with either those who are dumping them or the council for not collecting the ones that are "legal" size.

I think you are too kind in your estimation of some constituents, Renata. Some simply CBA to do the right thing and just dump them, thereby blocking pavements and parking slots. Better by far for the council to do daily rounds with a portable shredder or for there to be drop offs - why not use The Plough, etc. or other sites that sold the damned things as a mulching site? The current situation isn't tenable, but thanks for the information anywya.

Xmas trees, litter, and flytipping. On Landells Road, the cycle hoop bike hanger is the designated local tip along with The Plough bus shelter across the road. A large fridge and book case are wedged between the hanger and a derelict builders van.

Post Xmas, it is now collecting a forest of Xmas trees, liquor bottles, smokers paraphernalia, take away wrappers and packaging, courtesy of the Local Sainsbury?s, the betting parlour, plough cafe and takeaways? patrons around the corner.

Have called Southwark environmental services a few times, nothing happens. Saw the lovely street cleaners sweeping around it today.

Our local Dulwich Hill Councillors seem to be oblivious to this part of their ward. Hardly see them on here or around anywhere. I hope James Mcash will consider this end of LL in the upcoming meeting. This end of LL isn?t part of Goose Green Ward, but we sorely need more attention from council services.

1 give the Council a flipping? chance it?s only 2 weeks into January

2 they willfully vandalised east Dulwich with health & safety gone hysteria going on mental illness chopping down many trees on our streets, the extra greenery provided by the abandoned piled up Xmas trees is welcome

Perspective Forumers!!! Perspective!!!

Mine is also over 6ft and I have no idea how to cut it. Who did you pay to collect? I would appreciate a recommendation as I can't find anyone that is still collecting.

I imagine there are others in the same position who just end up dumping outside.

legalalien Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The trees on our street were collected on Monday I

> think, they left mine, presumably because it?s on

> the large size (not a monster but I guess it might

> be six foot one or something). I?ve paid someone

> to come and take it away. There are an awful lot

> about the place, I agree.

I truly fail to understand how people can throw their Xmas trees on a pavement, just like this (unless they know the collection date). There may be someone with a pram or in a wheelchair or with walking sticks passing by? Pavements are not exactly the size / width of motorway.

Thanks, the fridge and what looked like a toilet cistern are gone. The van is still there along with the bookcase and about half a dozen Xmas trees. The area around the bike hanger is a compost pile though and needs a good clean. I am not sure who uses the cycle hanger since there aren?t any cycles in it and I?ve never seen anyone accessing. It really should be moved to somewhere along the Eynella road pavement where the pavement is quite wide and there is plenty of space, the Plough car park or maybe the library garden?

DulwichSociety Wrote:

> Hi sand12, we have reported this to Southwark and

> they should be clearing away the rubbish next to

> the Landells Rd cycle hanger by the end of today.

ab29 Wrote:

> I truly fail to understand how people can throw

> their Xmas trees on a pavement, just like this

> (unless they know the collection date). There may

> be someone with a pram or in a wheelchair or with

> walking sticks passing by? Pavements are not

> exactly the size / width of motorway.

Welcome to East Dulwich, home of cute self-referential banners, hygge paraphernalia, kozy coffee shops and rank selfishness!