20 MPH Limit Lordship Lane

Bringing in a speed limit is now taking it to far. They have introduced extra crossings, extra speed humps and limited the amount of parking on the high street. All ofthis has resulted in a high level of traffic and pollution for our high street.

The council need to address the real problem, that is maniac drivers cutting through the residential roads - the roads which have our neighbourhood children playing on them. The high street, should remain the high street!

Hi Dame Dulwich,

What reduction in parking?

When the crossing were introduced we ensured more than the lost parking was provided by rearrnaigng existing parking restrictions.

Please do take a look at www.crashmap.co.uk at the area. You can see Lordship Lane is a ribbon of crahses and most residential streets have very few crashes on them.

Do point out any residential street you feel has been overlooked to be made safer. In East Dulwich ward we've ensured all the residential streets wholly in the ward are 20mph excepting Melbourne Grove southern half which we share with Village ward, East Dulwich Rad, Grove Vale, Lordship Lane, Barry Road.

James, very interesting website.

I am quite surprised by the lack of accidents at Goodrich, I've seen many but I guess this site stops at 2011. In fairness, it looks like more should be done between Townley rd and Upland road. There is a significant number of accidents there and that's where drivers go fast despite numerous driveways and junctions.

Hi Dapacouly,

I agree work needs to be done there as well but unfortunately the section of Lordship Lane between Upland and Melbourne form the border between East Dulwich ward and Village ward. Village ward councillors wouldnt even agree to make Melbourne Grove between Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Grove 20mph and it already has speed cushions and vehicles don't travel much on average above 20mph!

Glad you found that website interesting.

Southwark Council website has a mapping section with lots of various details - they don't keep it very current without prodding - traffic counts from last year on Lordship Lane still not enterrerd - but still interesting.

• 1 month later...

Good news, looks like Southwark is going ahead with 20mph on Lordship Lane:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/8752/lordship_lane-introduction_of_20_mph_speed_limit_public_notice_dated_16_may_2013

"Persons wishing to object to or make representations in respect of the proposal should send a statement in writing stating the grounds of their objection or representation by e- mail to [email protected] , or by post to ?Traffic orders officer, Public realm projects, Southwark council, Environment and leisure, P.O. Box 64529, London SE1P 5LX?, quoting reference PRP/PD/TMO1314-005, to be received no later than 06 June 2013."

looking at the map that James Barber linked to (thanks James, interesting site) - It seems that the biggest problem area on Lordship Lane is the junction with Heber Road. I wonder why the proposal is to start the limit at Whateley (as DJKQ says, by that point traffic is barely moving anyway)?

Hi rahrahrah,

Because the part of Lordship Lane proposed is wholly East Dulwich ward. Heber Road junction is hald East Dulwich ward and half Village ward and Village ward councillors don't want 20mph on the part of Melbourne Grove we share with them let alone the part of Lordship Lane we share.

But importantly the area proposed is a shopping high street with lots of people crossing.