Phase 2 construction at Charter ED

legalalien

As someone who has walked up and down East Dulwich Grove and speculated about the scale of construction works at Charter ED many times over the last couple of years I found this report about the contract for Phase 2 construction works quite interesting and thought others might as well.

https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s103674/Report%20Gateway%202%20-%20Contract%20Award%20Approval%20to%20award%20the%20main%20works%20contract%20to%20deliver%20phase%202%20of%20T.pdf

Looks as though things are a bit tricky as the cost of building supplies is skyrocketing meaning at least a ?1.5 million funding shortfall which the council are asking DfE?s funding agency to cover. Given the time critical nature of the project it?s not feasible to re-tender the contract to try and get a cheaper price. The price with the selected contractor has been negotiated down as far as possible. If DfE doesn?t come to the party with funding the design may need to be revisited slightly - the example given is removal of the hall. The council is anxious to avoid delays that might cause problems with expanding intake and the provision of 20 new ASD places.

Currently projected total cost of build is just shy of ?43 million, of which ?5 million is a council capital contribution (made to cover a funding shortfall on the original design, seems Southwark wanted something slightly better than central govt would fund) and ?900k is council money for the new ASD resource.

I think they have to use the traffic fine funds for road etc infrastructure don?t they- I thought they were ringfenced? In any case, they?re built into the council budget already and there?s still if I recall correctly something like ?6mill in efficiency savings to be found in order to balance the budget - I wouldn?t get too excited just yet ?

(See here for draft budget proposals https://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s103542/Report%20Policy%20and%20Resources%20Strategy%202022-23%20to%202024-25%20update.pdf )