> was absolutely excellent.

>

> I went in last week for their salted caramel

> icecream, and they didn't have any, which was very

> disappointing. I tried Oddono's, which was nice

> but didn't make me drool as much as Hope and

> Greenwood's had, so I wanted to see if my memory

> of Hope and Greenwood's was accurate!

We tried it last year. Hope it's better now but won't be getting it there anymore

or anywhere else as on a diet now lol. Not a fan of salted caramel.

I had a waffle (microwaved in front of me) and 1 scoop of choc gelato for ?3.20 the other week served on a paper plate with plastic fork - not ice cream friendly on a hot day! It was OK. Totally non-descript and I wish I hadn't bothered tbh. I'd have paid no more than 75p for what I got given a choice.

MadameChocolat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Had a yummy salt/Caramel ice cream from hope and

> greenwood the other day, only ?2. How much in new

> icecream place ? And are they as scrumy?

xxxxxxxx

Oh brilliant, have Hope and Greenwood got their salted caramel back in?

I don't think Oddono's version is so good, but my memory of Hope and Greenwood's may be wrong.

This is such a great excuse to have two cones on one day, so that I can make a direct comparison :))

Seems some people on here clearly have very high standards and are used to the finest Italian ice cream...

Went there this weekend and found the ice cream to be very good indeed. Price wise, it's a London ice cream shop selling good quality ice cream - I think some people forget that East Dulwich is hardly an out of town location...

• 2 weeks later...
Went today for first time. I agree Hope and Greenwood much better. But better still was/is? SCOOP ED - hope they open up again this summer. Ice cream at Odonnos was bland flavour, emulsified and had little resemblance to good Italian ice cream. Says it is natural - but I saw ingredients of sorbet (dairy intolerance) and it had emulsifiers, trans fatty acids and other crap in. VERY DISAPPOINTED. And decor is very 1991 !!!

"Seems some people on here clearly have very high standards and are used to the finest Italian ice cream..."

There's a lot of places selling really good ice cream in London these days. Maybe that's why people have high standards - because it's easier to find really good stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I don't rate Oddono's - but that's just my view. Each to their own. Ice Cream Union are excellent, Gelupo on Archer St, as stated above, is unbeatable - though the prices reflect that. There's a new place in Borough Market called 3Bis. Again, great quality, price is ridiculous.

You get what you pay for. Oddono's use bulk production methods - that will screw with quality when it's compared to the top end stuff. Also "ingredients of sorbet (dairy intolerance) and it had emulsifiers, trans fatty acids and other crap in" - that's another indicator of using large scale/low quality production. If it had any other emulsifier than xanthan or carob gum then it's bad, and there should be NO trans fatty acids in proper sorbet. Good sorbet is fruit, water, sugar and one of the gums to hold it. Nothing else.

*Bob* Wrote:

> I thoroughly enjoyed a Strawberry Cornetto

> yesterday, so I guess Oddono's will do me if I

> want to step up a notch.

Similarly, I have been eating the kids supply of Fabs, so the couple of times I've been to Oddonos I've thought it was nice!

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just came across this post so thought I'd add that I sometimes have salted caramel from Marine Ices. It's one of my flavours on rotation but after reading this I'll get it in for the weekend!

If you love Ice Cream you can check out the Time Out Eating and Drinking Guide 2014. 17 Ice Cream Parlours in London are featured, 2 in SE London including me, Oddono's is also featured in another area.

Hope this info is of interest to some of you ice cream lovers!

Sugar Mountain Wrote:

> Hi

>

> Just came across this post so thought I'd add that

> I sometimes have salted caramel from Marine Ices.

xxxxxxx

Went to Marine Ices in Camden at Easter with the grandkids as we had just walked along the canal.

Thought it wasn't a patch on Oddono's. Less tasty ice cream, more expensive, and poor service.

Wouldn't willingly go there again.

Sorry to hear that Sue, you clearly know a lot more about Ice Cream than Time Out! Prices - Is ?1.80 & ?1.20 for additional scoops more than any that you have mentioned previously?

I'll leave this thread now just when I was about to mention I have tiramasu and sometimes coffee and cappuccino.

In the same manner as yourself xxxxxxxx

Hope you have a good evening :)

Sugar Mountain Wrote:

> Sorry to hear that Sue, you clearly know a lot

> more about Ice Cream than Time Out! Prices - Is

> ?1.80 & ?1.20 for additional scoops more than any

> that you have mentioned previously?

>

xxxxxxxx

Eh?

Not quite sure what you are talking about?

What we paid in Marine Ices was definitely more than what we pay for the equivalent in Oddonos, and the ice cream was definitely much less nice.

If Time Out has said something different, maybe you could give a link to the article?

ETA: Oh. I've just realised that you sell ice cream yourself. Duh. So I guess Oddono's is a competitor? Oh well.