Police on Greendale

Zaardvark

Hi,

I frequently cycle and walk on the Greendale cycle path in the evening and have noticed a big increase in the number of police cars and vans looking for people and dealing with incidents. Does someone know the backstory to this? I am wondering if it is safe at nighttime now.

Thanks

Z

I walk my dog on greendale and met a guy who is on a council panel for reporting crimes. He said there's a lot of drug dealing activity and that path is used as a route. He also said armed police are sometimes used to move on people smoking dope and to evict the homeless people there because a visit from the PCSOs doesn't cut it.

Could be BS of course but that's why he said lots of cops around there.

I assume you mean the path from Champion Hill through to Greendale at the crossroads? If so is it mostly ok? yes, but i wouldn't cycle along it on my own at night. At more peak time there are lots of people, but its like everywhere in terms of being vigilant. I have the same issue re Burgess park, in that I won't cycle through the whole park, but do cut through the C17 section.

Yes I don't do that - the park is surprisingly dark - especially the link to the Canal path. I'm not sure I'd feel happier if it was lit though either - once it gets quieter I think going round is sensible. Its another reason why cycle paths through parks can't be the only option, we need safe routes from traffic but also for personal safety that can be used at night too.