> > allotment that way!

> >

> > So having nurtured my Christmas tree all year,

> it

> > has cost me ?12.50 to bring it home, and will

> cost

> > me another ?12.50 to take it back :(

> >

> > Unless I can find another route ......

>

>

> Cant you park before it Sue and carry it

No not easily, unfortunately.

Twiggy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There is a camera at the South Circular end of

> > Underhill Road.

> >

> > As I sadly found when I tried to return from my

> > allotment that way!

> >

> > So having nurtured my Christmas tree all year,

> it

> > has cost me ?12.50 to bring it home, and will

> cost

> > me another ?12.50 to take it back :(

> >

> > Unless I can find another route ......

>

>

> What about Wood Vale?

Yes will try that next time!

Hmmm, I support the ULEZ and feel we should not be trying to get round it, but that said I wont be contacting TfL if I am not caught by a camera. I expect that any dodges will become common knowledge fairly quickly and be closed down/camera'd up. It is useful to know where cameras are though, should I be tempted to do a short journey. Generally I'll cycle or walk distances of up to a couple of miles, or use public transport. Uber would be preferable if I am in a hurry to ?12.50.

I'll see how I feel in 12 months time but in no rush to buy a ULEZ complaint vehicle and as said in other forums maybe it will be Zipcar next.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly all junctions with the A205 have cameras. Brinkley has cameras in nearly every traffic light making it impossible to drive without getting hit. In Dulwich I know there is one from forest hill road leading to Peckham and on Denmark Hill by champion hill. There is one by branchlet gardens when driving past Athenlay road on brick let way just before the junction with brenchley gardens. There is one down on Lausanne road in the junction with queens road Peckham road. Few in new cross after the station towards the deptford. They are different cameras. They are grey and black. Look like ufo disl cut on both sides with two eyes facing the road 😳

I completely support the aims of the ULEZ, however I think there should have been more support for residents within the zone who have old cars.

My car is over twenty years old, well maintained, regularly serviced, passes its MOT first time, but is not ULEZ compliant.

I didn't meet whatever the requirements are to get the two grand for scrapping it, and I was horrified to discover the prices of cars! Plus I was inundated with phone calls from car salespeople as soon as I started enquiring about cars advertised online.

I know this is a bit off topic, but other options (eg hiring a car when needed) are apparently closed to me because I am, like my car, so ancient.

I did have a buyer (who lives well out of the zone) for my car, but decided to keep it pro tem after I discovered that the ULEZ charge only applies when the car is actually driven within the zone, and not when it's parked in the zone.

People who live in the congestion zone don't get charged (I think) and the aims of that are the same, ie to reduce pollution.

What is the difference?

So far I have made three trips, one to collect my Christmas tree and two to drive to and from my daughter's, coming back on a different day, with a load of heavy stuff impossible to take on public transport, and have been picked up by cameras all three times.

So in a few days I have nearly forty quid being taken out of my bank account. I hope it will be put to good use 🙄

Sue you sound like me, A pensioner who cannot afford inflated prices on secondhand ulez compliant car.

scared to get on the buses that ulez is now funding, because of corona virus as bus passengers do not wear masks.

and dragging shopping on weary arms and legs, with asthma and arthritus, because as a pensioner without a private pension cannot afford ulez

so am in a rut, and like all tithes and taxes I am sure the money will be wasted

Sue Wrote:

> People who live in the congestion zone don't get

> charged (I think) and the aims of that are the

> same, ie to reduce pollution.

>

> What is the difference?

The congestion charge was designed to reduce congestion. Congestion is 27% lower in the zone than it was before its introduction (despite the rise of Uber and Deliveroo etc). Old timers may remember that before the CC it would literally take hours to drive across town during the day. It was much quicker after the introduction of the CC and has remained okay (if by no means pleasurable - but that's what happens when you live in a city with millions of cars and millions more people in it).

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/congestion-charge-factsheet.pdf.pdf

sally buying Wrote:

> May be wrong but was the ULez first mooted for

> central London and not right out through the

> burbs.

No - ULEZ was always intended to be wider than just central London. The Congestion Charge zone got ULEX a little earlier only because they already had cameras in place. In fact, most London boroughs wanted the ULEZ to be all of London, not just South/North Circular.

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/node/32802

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Introduction%20of%20ULEZ_a.pdf

Neither a money generation scheme nor surefire, as revenue has been lower than expected because the drop in highly polluting cars has been vwn higher than expected - about 30% down overnight. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ulez-expansion-tfl-diesel-polluting-sadiq-khan-north-south-circular-b971107.html

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that people weren't considered. There were multiple, long and detailed consultations and impact assessments - see the links above.

How much would you charge?

There is one at the Lyndhurst/Holly Grove junction. One of the dedicated ULEZ ones, that look a bit like a fat beetle with no legs (or something like that).

I am on the auto-pay scheme and annoyingly they don't update your journey immediately - it can take up to a week. I have done a few exploratory trips to discover whether I can do my fortnightly trip to the tip/B&Q, which is basically all I use the car for. And the answer is yes, I can.

Any 2006+ petrol car should be compliant, so cheap as chips (relatively speaking, given the recent increase in second hand car prices). My 2013 stop/start low-mileage diesel is only EURO5 so doesn't comply, whereas a petrol banger with 200k on the clock belching out blue smoke is fine apparently.

I hope that they introduce more cameras. I cycle 3-4 times as many km as I drive so I should be the one rushing to give up the car but currently the ULEZ is too easy for me to avoid, it's still not enough of a nudge to get rid of the car completely!

micromacromonkey Wrote:

> There is one at the Lyndhurst/Holly Grove

> junction. One of the dedicated ULEZ ones, that

> look a bit like a fat beetle with no legs (or

> something like that).

>

> I am on the auto-pay scheme and annoyingly they

> don't update your journey immediately - it can

> take up to a week. I have done a few exploratory

> trips to discover whether I can do my fortnightly

> trip to the tip/B&Q, which is basically all I use

> the car for. And the answer is yes, I can.

>

> Any 2006+ petrol car should be compliant, so cheap

> as chips (relatively speaking, given the recent

> increase in second hand car prices). My 2013

> stop/start low-mileage diesel is only EURO5 so

> doesn't comply, whereas a petrol banger with 200k

> on the clock belching out blue smoke is fine

> apparently.

>

> I hope that they introduce more cameras. I cycle

> 3-4 times as many km as I drive so I should be the

> one rushing to give up the car but currently the

> ULEZ is too easy for me to avoid, it's still not

> enough of a nudge to get rid of the car

> completely!

Can you elaborate which route you take for the above journeys to help others out who may not be flush with money but need to use the car.

Many thanks

I'm near Bellenden road so: avondale rise > camberwell grove > lyndhurst grove > bushey hill rd, peckham road > southampton way > commercial way, then either

to end of commercial way > devon st > THE TIP

or..

left onto peckham hill st > bird in bush road > glengarry road > OKR > right into Asda/B&Q industrial estate. (NB there is a camera outside PC World so don't cross that junction. Screwfix is a no-go area.)

I'm sure that the nefarious revenue generators (the council) have got a crack team monitoring this forum 24/7 in order to close down such non-compliance, so book a tip slot while you can.

Lot of ignorance here. ULEZ is primarily for nitrogen dioxides, not soot. The latter is already picked up by the opacity and other tests on the MOT. NO2/NOx not cheap or easy to measure by MOT stations. Need sophisticated equipment.

Those vehicles still spewing out smoke is still an issue, but not to do with the ULEZ and crying out for other means of enforcement but sadly doesn't happen. I yell you polluting selfish barstools but doubt if that bothers people. Fortunately it is rare.

ULEZ enforcement nowt to do with the boroughs. Sad that a small minority think they are beyond paying the price for a more polluting vehicle.

micromacromonkey Wrote:

> What they really SHOULD do is to change the MOT so

> that if there is any blue smoke (well, some low

> level anyhow) then you automatically fail. Too

> many vehicles that are probably 'ULEZ compliant'

> that are disgustingly dirty.

Emissions of the individual vehicle are tested at MOT and prolonged or dense blue smoke is already a major fail. https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of-exhaust-system-and-emissions/amp/