Conway?s setting up Road works at 1am outside house

picmicnic

Currently being kept wake by Conways setting up Road works outside my house at 1:20am on Tuesday morning.

Don?t believe there is an emergency (they have been giving notice about these works for a week).

Is this normal? Any ideas who to complain to? Eg who in the council? Thanks

We?ve had this on 3 different occasions this year. Setting up at night and working at night for a week at a time. Proper drilling and digging the tarmac at midnight etc. It seems pretty standard or at least it?s starting to feel that way. I therefore presume it?s not worth your effort complaining and you are better off grinding your teeth until it?s over.

This from the Southwark Council website (not sure you OP is under):

'Construction noise

Construction and demolition work can only be carried out within specified hours or with permission from the council. Construction noise is considered to be a nuisance outside of these hours:

Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm

Saturdays 9am to 2pm

Sundays and Bank Holidays no works

Construction noise includes all work undertaken by electricity, gas and water companies as well as our own council departments.

If you are being disturbed by construction work outside of standard construction hours, report it to us as soon as possible.

If you wish to carry out noisy work outside of normal working hours, visit our construction page to apply for Section 61 consent to carry out noisy demolition and/or construction works.'

Are you presuming too much? Maybe they think that everyone will assume they have permission when they really don't. I would ring up Conway HQ and ask for a manager's email address, complain and CC your MP and councillor's email. Even if it is correct that they have the council's permission I think your MP would be keen on knowing that this goes on.

Definitely report it, they came and drilled a hole in our road at 11pm one evening to take a sample to determine if they needed to resurface the road. I informed the council, and they were not aware of this.

"Con"way appears to be a law unto their own with no consequence, but the council continues to use them. I would love to take a peek at their tendering process and the number of variations on each of the major jobs they do.

picmicnic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Currently being kept wake by Conways setting up

> Road works outside my house at 1:20am on Tuesday

> morning.

> Don?t believe there is an emergency (they have

> been giving notice about these works for a week).

> Is this normal? Any ideas who to complain to? Eg

> who in the council? Thanks

When we lived top of Barry Rd by the library Conway were always drilling and digging after midnight & I used to ring & report to the council noise team - they check their system to see if the work is registered & each time it wasn?t so you need to report it that?s the only way to stop it happening & they then have to do it during the day

Its obviously being done for a reason, one which you dont automatically have the right to know, no matter how self entitled your personality appears to be.

And to those encouraging them to 'ring up and complain', you do realise this is why everything in this country is surrounded by bureaucratic red tape, don't you? The more hoops these companies have to jump through, the more they bill the council for the work and the less cash there is for important public services. So please think twice and stop being so selfish to deny important roadworks to go ahead just because your sleep is disturbed a couple of nights out of 365.

I had this a couple of years ago where Virgin Media contractors turned out at 8pm on a Friday evening to dig the road up outside my home.

I asked them what they were doing and for the permit reference number. They waffled.

I checked this website -http://public.londonworks.gov.uk/roadworks/home;jsessionid=hQnthghJ5JfQpT2Lpn8DTLQQs0lpFtP0WmMzwsbQwQ5wgyXppTYV!987534351 - and no permit to work had been given. They were still place bollards. I took photos. I told them they did not have a permit and should leave. They waffled some more. I started placing their bollards in the back of their lorry and told them to leave. After a little heated but temperate words they closed their site and left.

I emailed the Virgin Media CEO with photos and made a complaint. Contractors hate such complaints - i used to managed such contractors we would be incandescent if a contractors was acting rogue in this way. I also referenced the local highways in Southwark.

Do not suffer in silence with such nonsense.