Green Bonfire at Dulwich Sports Club - what do people think?

I think it was one of very few remaining bonfires and it?s good it?s not happening any more. The amount of pollution bonfires cause is horrendous and they?re unnecessary. Fireworks not really green either so the green idea is overplaying the hand but less pollution is positive. Bring on the LED drones!

I?m in favour of that. Although with the potential for a winter of potentially soaring gas prices the timing may not be great?. Are there many wood burning stoves in London do we think? I?m not sure I?ve seen a lot : any when visiting people although I have seen some people unpacking wood from cars ?

Even better would be if they told the cafe van that parks on their car park to turn off the engine for the 2+ hours it sits there on Sunday morning. Seriously, it keeps its engine running for hours. A couple of Sunday?s ago it was plugged in at an electricity point and it was so much more pleasant, but last week the engine was back on. I can?t imagine why folks have not said anything about it. I?ve asked if he could be at least be asked to park as far away as possible from the kids, but I was ignored.

Sometimes he is parked right against the hockey pitches, engine running for hours. Makes perfect sense.

I don?t think it should be either or.

In answer to whether there are many wood burners in London- the answer is sadly, yes lots and ever growing in https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/16/home-wood-burning-biggest-cause-particle-pollution-fires

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If bonfires are going to be banned why not ban the

> ubiquitous wood burning stove too? I'm sure they

> spew out far more particulates into the atmosphere

> all winter long than bonfires on one night.

legalalien Wrote:

> See

> https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/29/dulwich-fireworks-n

> ight-goes-green-with-virtual-bonfire-and-sparkler-

> ban-15333961/

>

> Big screen bonfire instead of the traditional wood

> burning thing.

>

> Apparently Dulwich is known for its trendy,

> cosmopolitan and right on residents.

>

> https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16273408/firework-di

> splay-bonfire-replaced-big-screen-tv/

It's going to be a disappointment to those hoping to do baked potatoes or roasted marshmallows on the night 😱

To be honest, better to have nothing then a fake bonfire in my opinion

Well, that sounds pretty miserable. In the grander scheme of things, a few bonfires on Bonfire Night is hardly the eco crime of the century. And I would rather there were official bonfires with firework displays and ban sale of fireworks otherwise.

Most displays in London don?t have bonfires, just fireworks.

I too would like to see permit only displays. So large scale organised ones. If private individuals wanted them they?d need a permit with approval from the fire brigade re set up and safety (and would want a charge to be made for this) so the overall effect was private displays become the exception

Bonfire night is literally a performance.

@legalalien: I have no idea of numbers but they are around - quite a few people have firewood stacked in their doorways etc. There's a geezer on our street that has one and when he lights it the whole street smells of smoke. I have no idea if being within smelling distance of it also means being within coughing distance of it if you has asthma, COVID etc

I'd guess they couldn't get insurance for a real bonfire anymore and this is putting a brave green spin on it.

But dulwich sports club always put on a good show and I usually go with the family. I think most people go for the fireworks and the cheap beer not the bonfire, and the club deserves our support, it's not been an easy couple of years for community sports clubs.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> Why do you think they couldn't get insurance?

If you google it you will see many other event organisations are in the same position. You can get cover for a professional fireworks display, but insurance companies aren't keen to cover an actual bonfire. I'm not an expert but guess people try to get too close to the bonfire or wind blows the fire around and maybe they're worried people will sue. I remember the insurance costs being high from a personal experience many years ago and it can only have got worse.