Dead soldier memorial disappointment

Nigello

The tree in the circular bench in Dulwich Village, near the post office, has once again been cut down. I have asked, via emails and Twitter, the Dulwich Society what has happened and what the plan for a replacement is but have had no answer a week on. Any idea as to who may be polite enough to respond? Thanks

My understanding is that the tree died because of the snow (which has also affected several other trees along Dulwich Village)... not sure if the pavement was also salted again (which affected the first tree). Various tree officers are looking at a more robust species to replace it, but my impression is that the situation could get a bit political.

Nigello, the Dulwich Society had been monitoring the tree with Southwark to be sure it was beyond saving. They are now working with the Council and Margaret Evison, Mark's mother, to get a replacement tree as soon as possible. I got this information from the Society's monthly Newsletter as I was worried about the tree too (I would periodically weed beneath it to keep it tidy). If anyone has any advice on things like preventing salt damage perhaps send an email to [email protected].

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Nigello. Sorry to hear you haven't had a reply to your email to the Society. The bench has been removed because the tree had died and needed replacing. A new tree (a Japanese Pagoda) is due to be planted this week and once it has settled in, the bench will be reinstated. The bench won't come back straightaway as Southwark Council want to keep a close eye on the tree, but it is safely in storage ready for its return.

As you know, the bench commemorates Lt Mark Evison who died in 2009 of wounds received in Afghanistan. His obituary is on our website: https://www.dulwichsociety.com/journal-archive/63-autumn-2009/458-lieut-mark-evison