Dog attacked on the Rye

Jess_mw

My 4yr old dog was attacked by a Ridgeback in Peckham Rye park today. It was completely unprovoked as my dog is neutered and has no dominant traits; he just trotted up to a group of dogs who were all unleashed. I was too shaken up and quick to leave the scene but it turns out my dog was left with a bad puncture wound on his back, which required an urgent vet visit, antibiotics and pain medication. The owner stayed with her dog and her friends as I attached my dog and moved away. Does this story ring a bell to anyone who might know the owner? I'd like to get in touch. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Jess_wm,

Some years ago our dog got attached by another aggressive one on the Rye and I got bitten on the hand when I tried to separate them. I hope that you can sort this out and get compensation - we never did - not even a sincere apology, Now it would be easy to take photos on a mobile as evidence and that would be a good idea. Dog owners must take responsibility; I've know a well-behaved Ridgeback in the past - it's not the breeds to blame.

Good Luck.

we've had ridgebacks and they are not an aggressive breed - they don't need to be.

Do you have a description of the owner?

What is the process for getting crimes followed up? there seem to be a number of incidents but nothing ever happens to the owners.

• 1 month later...
I'm really sorry to hear about your dog but it isn't confined to one breed - my dog was attacked by a dangerously out of control whippet called Freddy and only escaped because my husband wrestled the dog to the ground. The owner - a grey-haired bloke (who looks like the Grandad from Only Fools and Horses) didn't apologise or even acknowledge what had happened. I have a picture of him and he is a regular on the Rye so I am reporting him to the RSPCA as they sometimes have better follow-up than the police.