Violence against women event on Peckham Rye yesterday ,anyone go ?

Although this event was mentioned the evening before in the What's On section it doesn't seem to have had any other publicity .

Did anyone pop in ? What was it like ?

I was walking with a friend on Peckham Rye yesterday and did look out for this but could see no sign .Possibly because the only location details my friend had were that it was to be held on "the east side of Peckham Rye Park "

It was cancelled at the last minute due to the Wayne Couzens trial concerns... I only found out in the morning before I walked over there. Sorry not to post an update, but I couldn?t find the thread (as it had been moved) so I assumed it had been deleted.

"cancelled at the last minute due to the Wayne Couzens trial concerns"

Yes of course ,might have meant staff attending would have been faced with tricky questions .

out of interest Where was it publicised rch?

I only knew about it because I bumped into a woman who was very badly assaulted on Peckham RYe in 2019 .Despite having a photograph ( taken by someone who witnessed the attack ) ,the first name of the attacker and two witnesses ,the police were spectacularly unhelpful,telling the victim "Gone are the days when we could post Wanted notices " ..

The attacked woman was looking for the event as she'd been notified it was on .Imagine how she felt circling the park looking for it and now knowing that it wasn't worth the police's time to let her know it had been cancelled?

I suspect that the bigger issue was that police staff have been overwhelmed in dealing with various climate change protests and were therefore preparing to deal with Clapham Common in addition, which was strangely quiet in the end.

I heard about it via email updates on various police committees that I serve on, but I also noticed it wasn?t publicly promoted very well. I was going to say more on social media, but I didn?t want to misinform. It will be interesting to see if something happens in the next couple of weeks, as the weather is getting worse.

Will try to stay in better touch (I still have loads of alternative info on LTNs, as well)... but most people are aware that Thames Water have caused such severe damage to my house that I?m literally struggling to survive, therefore my community work is a bit hit and miss.

Thanks for replying rch ,no worries about trying to stay in better touch .I don't think it's down to you to inform the public about a violence against women event ! And it sounds as though you have your hands full .

I just ...think it's cr*p .Almost as though there was no motivation . Let's not publicise it ,might add a few people to an email list and let them know about it .But who cares if we cancel it ,no need to advise people .

Thank you hpsaucey .

I just feel so much for the poor woman who had been so viciously attacked and who then experienced not only a null response from the police ( who said they could do nothing with the statements from the witnesses ,the photograph of the attack or the information regarding his first name ) but then patronised her with the "Gone are the days when we can put up wanted notices comment .

She doesn't like revisiting the area but did so because she'd been told there was this event .And then it was cancelled with no notification to her .

At least the lack of general publicity may have saved others who having personal or related experience of assault might have turned up and been disappointed .