Bag and phone snatchers targeting Dulwich areas

Rockets

A word of warning. My wife was a victim of an attempted bag snatch today on Grove Vale and whilst her vice-like grip on the bag prevented it from being taken the thief did get her phone. It happened at lunchtime.

The police told her there are groups of thieves working Dulwich at the moment on bikes and there have been multiple daily robberies this week.

The thieves are always dressed head to toe in black clothes and ride black bikes (so they cannot be easily identified) and will approach from behind, knock into you and then snatch what they can whilst you are disoriented. Apparently there are 5 of them who are well-known to police who are working the area.

Keep your wits about you everyone.

The police responding to my wife's incident (she is fine thanks she put up a fight and the idiot may have thought he had bitten off more than he could chew!) came from Stockwell as there are no responding officers at Peckham anymore apparently (don't know if this is temporary).

Unfortunately for the police many of the kids doing this are exactly that, kids, and they know they are untouchable and know how to play the system. It's why they are all wearing the same clothes and riding the same bikes so it makes it very difficult to identify them.

So the police know who they are but can't prove it ?

Sadly sometimes they could prove it (they have been given clear, and in some cases good, photographic evidence - this to my certain knowledge) but claim they don't have the resource (or, I'm guessing, the will) to bother. The courts are often very lenient on the young, so that - without deterrent sentences - there is little point. And police priorities are not necessarily placed on relatively minor (no one died) crimes against property or individuals, unless some form of 'hate' can be attributed.

These aren't minor crimes though - theft with use (or threat) of force is Robbery.

No, of course they aren't minor to the victims, but they don't seem to hit the police's buttons. It's hard enough to get a live police person to even visit a scene of crime nowadays, let alone collect forensic evidence that might be used in a case. So long as they can issue a crime number (necessary for insurance claims) over the phone or on-line and send you a victim support leaflet, their job is done.

I imagine what is being said here is being said all over the country right now. Can someone explain to me why the Government doesn't just throw a lot more money at policing/law and order?

Not that I want the Tories to be more popular but surely it would be a massive vote winner and they certainly seem able to find money (or print money) for things that they do deem are important.

Who actually funds policing, is it not down to the government at the end of the day?

I believe that more officers are being added to the Safer Neighbourhood Teams as they are recruited.

Each new officer of the thousand plus being recruited in London will spend 6 months on a SNT then rotate through other roles and after 2 years they will be able to choose which discipline to be deployed to and borough commanders are encouraging them to be ward officers.

It doesn't quite help with the issues experienced at the moment but it may in the future

For the moment badger your local SNT officers to increase patrols and bobbies on the beat as that's the best way to see them our there.

Agreed... look at the causes of crime, dealing with that would be far more effective...

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Penguin68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The courts

> > are often very lenient on the young, so that -

> > without deterrent sentences - there is little

> > point.

> "Deterrent' sentences have little effect on adult

> prospective offenders. They're sod all use in

> preventing kids offending.

There will always be criminals / bag snatchers on the streets of London. It's pointless moaning about the lack of police on the streets, when evidence has shown that 'bobbies on the beat' will not effectively reduce crime. Women, in particular, need to take appropriate measures to reduce the risk of being robbed on the streets: wearing 'anti-theft' cross-body bags (& holding on to them tightly) is one sensible step. The other, more obvious, rule - in fact a golden rule - is never to gab on one's phone: it's an open invitation to a phone-snatcher. I regularly see women on the pavements, prattling on their phones, oblivious to everyone & everything, who are then outraged that a bloke on a bike has nicked their phone! Surprise, surprise.

You can blame the lack of police, lack of deterrent sentencing, reasons criminals commit crime or you can do something to protect yourself, as the very controversial but also correct Dimelda says.

You can make yourself less of a target or more of a target depending on how you carry your valuables and your level of awareness of what?s going on around you.

It?s not rocket science.

I think it is valid advice for all people to be aware of hazards or potential hazards, whether it be connected to the weather, food, other people. Sometimes I think those who reflexively shout about victim blaming are more concerned with their creds and an idea than other living human beings.

It is also a dilemma if you are cycling and need navigation or turn by turn directions. I am nervous about having my phone on a mount and have to keep it in my jacket so it is hidden but it is not ideal. As the OP said many people use their phones to check directions etc, even when walking.