Best mobile phone service in London

whywhy

Worth having a look at this thread - there is a long term issue with a key mast that has been down since 2019 (with no signs of being fixed) in the area which does affect call stability and quality. The general view is that EE is least affected but someone posted recently that Vodafone was now working well. I know that O2 is heavily affected and so I have wifi calling enabled at home which helps, but I wouldn't recommend it for mobile signal in this area.

https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2167941,2167941#msg-2167941

I have not had a contract for many years but may go back to one for the new iPhone 13. Any recommendations for SE22 best coverage. I use Tesco, which piggbacks O2, I believe. I am not interested in perks like free film tickets or Netflix, etc. Money talks, so cheaper the better - with caveats, I know.

?..moved to the area?

I think (having seen previous threads, as mentioned above) it can depend on precisely where in ED area you are.

Certain providers seem to work for some better in one area than others in another area.

Obvs as you move around ED you?ll lose / gain signal accordingly.

I use Voda, fine all over ED but weak in parts of Peckham and Nunhead, for me.

KidKruger is absolutely right - signal strengths for different carriers will be impacted by topology and where their masts are. If you expect the greatest usage to be from your home, for example, locally, then check, if you can, which carrier offers the strongest signal there (remembering that new masts are erected on occasion, when not blocked by locals objecting, and equipment fails - which means that what is 'best' now may not be in 6 month's time.

Most people's experience is that signal for any single given carrier will be 'patchy' across the whole of SE22 and adjacent post codes - but patchy in different places. Annoying, really. If you are choosing an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) - i.e. not directly with EE, Vod, 3 or O2 - then find out who their wholesale carrier is underlying their network offer, which will be one of those 4.

I should add that BT, who owns EE, also has its own MVNO (BT Mobile) which is currently run over the EE network, but was run over other ones. Some carriers have disappeared (i.e. Orange) through take over or alliance. O2 was once wholly owned by BT, split off and made independent (a then requirement of the regulator) bought by the Spanish firm Telefonica and is now owned by Virgin Media 02, a 50:50 joint venture between Telefonica and Liberty Global, the US Cable company that owns Virgin Media. Clear, eh?

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have not had a contract for many years but may

> go back to one for the new iPhone 13.

I'd check the financing options from Apple. You can buy in interest free instalments and you can also buy it on a scheme whereby you're effectively renting your iPhone from them so you get an annual upgrade and applcare tossed in. Not sure of the pricing but that and a SIM only deal might be cheaper and better long run than going back to contract.

I'm on Plusnet and get 5GB of data and unlimited calls and texts for ?7/month. Underlying carrier is EE. I've personally had no problems with reception - I'm just off the Lane.

I'm on Plusnet and get 5GB of data and unlimited calls and texts for ?7/month. Underlying carrier is EE.

Plusnet is also owned by BT - which moved all offered mobile services to EE when they acquired the company (and Deutsche Telekom, who originally owned EE, acquired significant stock in BT)

I am with O2 and the reception is absolutely awful. Apparently a mast has been down for over a year and they are not too fussed with repairing it. The reason why is because they are assuming everyone knows about WiFi calling and has the option to use it on their handsets.

I finally figured out how to turn on wifi calling on my Galaxy phone (as it was not obvious and very challenging in finding the function). I have to say calls to and from my house are much improved.