curious - any other BT customers having problems?

Jem

Damaged cables are normally caused by rogue JCB action by another utility - but there have been past problems with cable thefts - copper scrap values are high at the moment.

My BT BB and phone is currently clear (but I'm on a fibre to the cabinet product, so may have escaped this issue anyway).

If the problem is with damage to a copper cable, then all the individual twisted pairs have to be jointed back to the correct terminations to restore service, it's not just like replacing a length of hollow pipe delivering water or gas (or electricity fo that matter). Your 'line' will in the end be an individual pair of wires running unbroken (except for joints) from your junction box in your home all the way back to a line card on a rack in the exchange. If cable is damaged each pair has to be traced, matched and jointed to restore service. Priority (for consumer lines) will be given where possible to 'vulnerable' customers who may be dependent on telephone services e.g. for medical reasons.

Your twisted pairs will form part of a group of pairs in a cable carrying perhaps hundreds of lines, all of which have to be individually traced, jointed and restored. Hence the forecast time to repair your service.

We were having problems about a week ago but it seems to have cleared up now. Still on the subject of BT but its TV service: does anyone have reception problems? It's really odd but for several months we either have problems with all BBC channels and then it'll switch to all ITV and Channel 4 channels. I rang BT up and they said it must be an aerial problem but we don't understand how it can group the channels together and affect either one set or the other. Any advice greatly appreciated.